• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The other day, as I was pondering the new bridge starting up, I pondered that the current Clyde Wells bridge isn't all that old. I'm sure many SoWallers can remember the old timber trestled bridge before that one. Does anybody have some photos of the old bridge, and can fill in the holes in my memory about when it was first built, and when it was dismantled. I'm sure there were a lot of people, in those days, who also muttered, "there goes the neighborhood...".

The other day, as I was pondering the new bridge starting up, I pondered that the current Clyde Wells bridge isn't all that old. I'm sure many SoWallers can remember the old timber trestled bridge before that one. Does anybody have some photos of the old bridge, and can fill in the holes in my memory about when it was first built, and when it was dismantled. I'm sure there were a lot of people, in those days, who also muttered, "there goes the neighborhood...".
I remember back in the 80s on our first trips to Destin and thinking how beautiful the bay is, so I'm sure I took photos ... if I can find them.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
This post may contain negative energy. Viewer discretion is advised.

What will happen when the new bridge is complete and evacuation orders are given to South Walton? Answer: Nothing different than the past 20 years or so. When wind reaches 40 mph the bridge will close because of the low grade of the causeway! They are not raising the causeway and the new question is why not?

FDOT spent millions of dollars raising Hwy 331 so that it will not flood for the next 100 years yet the storm water drainage is flooding every single property owner along this raised road. The drainage design can not even handle the rains we have been getting so the new question is why raise the road to not flood even though it has never flooded only to lower the road to meet the existing causeway which will flood and have to be closed down? Negative energy rising, I have other questions that so far have not been answered by Bill Timpner, FDOT project manager for the Hwy 331:

1. Why does the storm water run off for the Hwy 331 Hill, massive shoulders and very wide median (60 feet) depend on pipes that are too small (12 inches to 24 inches), have less than 15 year lifespans (very thin metal), and between 25 to 100 feet spans.

2. Why does dirt and trash keep clogging up these very long pipes? Hydroseeding will not work for these massive shoulders. Who will clean out road trash out of the one very long pipe under our driveways that is supposed to carry all the stormwater from Bay Grove North to retention ponds that are already over capacity.

3. Why does the drainage design depend so heavily on the Norris Cutoff drainage ditch that has NEVER been maintained? I invite anyone interested to find this ditch which is covered in trash, trees and mud.

4. Why does the drainage design flood people's houses and yards during this construction phase? It is amazing to watch the construction people go home on a Friday afternoon while water is all in people's yards and even homes.

5. Why does the drainage design depend on high ditch water levels for flow? Property owner grades are only a few inches above the water level in the ditch meaning that any reduction of flow from dirt and trash in the pipes will push water in the ditch onto property owners.

I have about 50 other questions but I think this

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Mark - those are good questions. I know you have a front row seat. To my untrained eye they seem to over-engineer roads these days and really emphasize drainage. I would guess that things will get sorted out. We'll see.

As for evacuation - it really depends on timing. If a lot of people are evacuating at once it can be a problem right now. Having all 4 lanes open north will relieve pressure. If 2 lanes have to close due to high winds hopefully traffic will be low by then.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Not sure what you mean by two lanes closing. When they close a bridge because of high winds, it is the entire bridge and it's a state emergency measure, not a county call.