• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

blapaglia

Beach Comber
May 24, 2009
That was amazing! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that with us. How beautiful. It so makes me want to be there instead of New York. :clap:

Auggie Gal

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2008
Saint Augustine, FL
Five Whale Sharks appeared just offshore from Grayton Beach, Florida in the first week of August in 2009. They remained in the local waters for two days. Many of the people chartering Grayton Beach fishing boats and one group of divers photographed and swam with the whales during the two-day event. A Whale Shark is not a whale (mammal) but is a gentle, non-dangerous, filter-feeding shark that is the largest living fish species.

James Griffith, a local firefighter/diver in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida captured the beautiful underwater video. The large school of bigger fish swimming with the whale shark are cobia.

Thanks to Edmond Alexander and James Griffith.

YouTube - Whale Sharks of Grayton Beach

Thank you for the fabulous video! We see Trigger Happy was in there too!
Hi to everyone from St. Augustine-hope to head your way in the fall!

grammyc

Beach Comber
To All Gods Helpers

Five Whale Sharks appeared just offshore from Grayton Beach, Florida in the first week of August in 2009. They remained in the local waters for two days. Many of the people chartering Grayton Beach fishing boats and one group of divers photographed and swam with the whales during the two-day event. A Whale Shark is not a whale (mammal) but is a gentle, non-dangerous, filter-feeding shark that is the largest living fish species.

James Griffith, a local firefighter/diver in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida captured the beautiful underwater video. The large school of bigger fish swimming with the whale shark are cobia.

Thanks to Edmond Alexander and James Griffith.

YouTube - Whale Sharks of Grayton Beach
Thank you KURT, and to all the others! On a day when I am fending off the woes of a family emergency, I get and e-mail from Kurt, by way of GOD. Life in the sea, and viewing such wonders gives me hope like no other. Thank you, Diane

Babs O

Beach Crab
Aug 12, 2009
Whale shark

I was out in a one person kayak on the morning of August 7th. I was in the second sandbar off Watersound Beaches and I came upon one of the whale sharks. I had no idea what it was but thought it looked like a whale or a huge ray. It came right over to the kayak and I could see all of the fish swimming with it. It was rather unsettling being out so far by myself with such a huge creature but it was also fascinating!!!
I paddled back in and insisted that my husband go out and see it because I knew that no one would believe me without validation. When he got back to shore told me that it was definately a shark but he didn't get close enough to see what kind. We had a great time telling our great shark story all day. I am so glad to know that it was a whale shark. I wish that I had know what it was that day and I would have spent a lot more time following it.
Yesterday, Aug. 11th we followed a manatee swimming east from Watersound.
I had a fantastic week there!!!

Edmond Alexander

Beach Lover
Aug 13, 2009
Whale Sharks of Grayton Beach

Hello SoWAL lovers,

I am so happy to see the responses to the YouTube movie I created with the underwater footage from James Griffith and still photos from Captain Larry of the Dead Fish (I love movie making). Sorry I did not mention my good friend Captain Mike Valintino in the video. I just credited the main characters.

I missed the first couple of days of Whale Shark action off of Grayton Beach and then spent 3 Days in a row looking for them in my boat. Yesterday was a payday. The charter boat Dead Fish first spotted the Whale Sharks off of the Wheel House in Seagrove beach yesterday and most of the Grayton beach launchers gathered for a photo opportunity.

Yesterday I saw the Whale Sharks live, I photographed them (poorly) and I got to touch the dorsal fin of one of the beautiful creatures when it surfaced right next to my boat. I was an amazing experience. Today is ladies day as I will take Leslie Provow, Celeste Cobina and Cynthia (my wife) out to look for them again.

Yesterday the Whale sharks were spotted around 9:30 am about a mile to a mile and a half off the beach. I think there were five whales and they ranged in size from just over twenty feet to just under forty feet long. The water depth in the area is about 60 feet.

After the YouTube post I got a call from USM's Gulf Coast Ocean Research Laboratory in Springs, MS seeking information about the sighting. I was told that the Whale Sharks have been appearing between PC and Orange Beach for a while now. Scientist there are seeking lateral left side head photos of the Whale Sharks for identification purposes. It seems that the spots pattern in the gills/pectoral fin area are all unique to an individual and can be used as "finger prints" to identify them.
Send photos to:

Eric Hoffmayer, Ph.D.
MSAFS President
Gulf Coast Research Laboratory
703 East Beach Dr.
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Ph: 228-872-4257

Kindest regards to all,

Edmond

EDMOND ALEXANDER | MEDICAL ILLUSTRATOR
Alexander and Turner Inc. Medical Illustration Studio
56 Old Miller Place
Grayton Beach, Fl 32459 USA
t 850.231.4112
f 850.231.4142
e edmondalexander@earthlink.net

w www.alexanderandturnerstock.com
w Alexander and Turner Medical Illustration Studio
w www.artfromgraytonbeach.com

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
Mr. Alexander,

Thank you for such an outstanding video. I've watched your other videos and one that stands out to me as well is Mr. Buzz. :love:
However, the whale shark video I have watched the past 3 nights before falling off to sleep, and as iwishiwasthere said it's more calming than any drug. Again, thank you, I can't get enough of this incredible piece of work.

AggieB

Last edited: