• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Aside from the ugly factor, how much parking do these giant houses have? Have they properly dealt with stormwater? Did they use native vegetation, or will they have to constantly water and be flooding the bike path? Are they built a reasonable distance from the water, or did they get as close as possible so they will be clamoring for seawalls and taxpayer subsidized insurance for when the next storm undercuts them?

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but practical considerations are easily dealt with and regulated.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
There are rules in place for colors of buildings on the U.S. 98/U.S. 331 South Scenic Corridor. All development proposed for those roads is required to undergo review by the Design Review Board for color, architecture, landscaping, site plan, and other aesthetics elements before the proposal goes to the Planning Commission. Kurt, I am assuming that your tourist store picture was taken on 30A. As you know, that is also a county-designated scenic corridor as well as a state-designated scenic corridor. However, rules for 30A and the county's other scenic corridors are less restrictive than for U.S. 98/331 South and don't refer to building color as far as I have been able to see. Also, only U.S. 98/331 South proposals are required to go before the Design Review Board.

If 30-A is a state and county scenic corridor, why aren't proposals required to go through a design review board? I thought that was the whole intent of the designation. ??

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
If 30-A is a state and county scenic corridor, why aren't proposals required to go through a design review board? I thought that was the whole intent of the designation. ??

A design review board was set up in connection with the U.S. 98/331 South Scenic Corridor but not for the other scenic corridors. There was talk of starting to send proposals for the other scenic corridors though the DRB, but it did not happen.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
They say there is no legislating taste. But tacky is tacky and they should be told by neighbors to tone it down.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
So the most scenic and important scenic corridor in Walton County has no Design Review Board. That's ridiculous.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
You can thank one of those big houses for the new walk over at Dothan Street. The run off from that house was the major reason for the dunes washing on to the beach, DEP permitting and the new walk over being constructed.
This house is a private family compound that really keeps the beach population down - I think that's a good thing!!!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
That is really one of my main concern. If these houses, and businesses for that matter, are built by people that live in, and care about Seagrove, that is a good thing. But, if these houses and businesses are part of the "absentee ownership" problem we have, then it presents a vast problem. Absentee owners don't see or feel the pressures that over-population are producing on our traffic crisis. They just cash their rent checks.

Both neighborhoods where we've owned in South Walton have neighborhood architectural review committees. They must approve architecture and colors so that the homes are compatible. Our neighborhood where we are now gives you before you build a color palette to choose from, strict architectural guidelines, strict landscaping guidelines, and other guidelines (for example, our garbage can holders must match). Why can't the Design Review Board take some control of what goes on Scenic Highway 30A, such as not allowing the tacky colors at the Snappy Turtle?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
You didn't read Miznotebook in the post above. There is no Design Review Board for 30-A. Pretty absurd,right?