• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

CY

Beach Lover
Sep 13, 2012
Hello fellow pet lovers, I was wondering if there are any trails in South Walton, preferably off 30A, that are dog friendly? In previous years, I bought a license to walk them on the beach, but I am rethinking this now. Any trail suggestions? TIA

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
Hello fellow pet lovers, I was wondering if there are any trails in South Walton, preferably off 30A, that are dog friendly? In previous years, I bought a license to walk them on the beach, but I am rethinking this now. Any trail suggestions? TIA

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Generally state parks discourage dogs.
Some parks are dog friendly on a leash. I'm not sure which in SoWal but it's listed on the state park website on each park's page. But even so I would only take a dog on a trail in aprak on north side of 30A if allowed.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Almost all parks allow dogs in certain day use areas such as nature trails. We've enjoyed hiking with our dogs in many Florida State Parks over the years. Must be on leash. Not allowed on Park beaches and certain other areas. Dogs are allowed in camping areas but must be confined to your Camp area.

Eden Gardens State Park is a great place to enjoy with you dog.

Grayton Beach State Park:
Domestic pets are permitted in designated day-use areas at all Florida State Parks. They must be kept on a handheld leash that is six feet or shorter and be well-behaved at all times. Pet owners are required to pick up after their pets and properly dispose of their droppings.

• Pets are not permitted on beaches, playgrounds, bathing areas, cabins, cabin areas, park buildings or concession facilities.
  • View our pet policy.

Professor

Beach Lover
May 20, 2021
Santa Rosa Beach
Pretty much all of Point Washington State Forest is dog friendly. Lots of trails. This is the forests between 98 and 30A, with 393, 83, 283, and 395 as N/S boundaries.

Snakes are plentiful, especially pygmy rattlers, so be cautious.

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
Pretty much all of Point Washington State Forest is dog friendly. Lots of trails. This is the forests between 98 and 30A, with 393, 83, 283, and 395 as N/S boundaries.

Snakes are plentiful, especially pygmy rattlers, so be cautious.
As are bears. I quit hiking in the area after seeing a couple of them. But if you do hike, before taking your dog consider how it might react if you encounter a bear and whether he/she may trigger aggressive behavior on the bear’s part- or an “inappropriate “ reaction on your part by trying to protect your dog. I have heard people say they take their dogs hiking with them as “protection”. But the only breed that’s gonna be protection against an agitated or startled bear is a Great Pyr. Also, if you hike near water’s edge, watch for gators. Other than that…enjoy!