• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I am no fan of drinking alcohol, but this kind of ordinance is unenforceable and a huge overstep by government into people's private business.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/20150812/NEWS/150819759

by TOM McLAUGHLIN
Walton County commissioners are considering adopting a Bay County-like ordinance that would outlaw drinking on the beach for the months of March and April.​
If Tuesday’s first public discussion of the proposal serves as any indication, they are going to get a lot of resistance from beachfront property owners.​
“The fact that for two months out of the year I can’t take a glass of wine out to watch the sunset on the beach is ludicrous,” resident Zuma Banks told commissioners at their Tuesday meeting.​
Bay County passed an ordinance March 31 that banned drinking on the beaches and in parking lots of unincorporated areas of Panama City Beach through April 18.​
The action was in response to several serious crimes being committed during spring break, a time when thousands of high school- and college-age kids converge on the Northwest Florida coast.​
With spring breaker issues of its own already, and in anticipation of more young people choosing to visit Walton County over the newly restrictive Panama City Beach, county officials decided to draw up an ordinance of their own.​
A public hearing on the proposed ordinance will be held Sept. 8 at 3 p.m. at the county’s South Walton annex.​
Not only several residents, but also a couple of commissioners didn’t like the idea of the county telling private property owners they couldn’t have a cocktail in their own back yard.​
“If I own a house, I ought to be able to drink a beer in my own yard, even though I don’t like beer,” said Commissioner Sara Comander.​
For the last two years, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office has been strictly enforcing underage drinking laws during spring break, and hundreds of young people have been jailed as a result.​
Commissioner Bill Chapman requested that County Attorney Mark Davis consult with the Sheriff’s Office to see if there were better ways to enforce a beach drinking ordinance than banning all alcohol consumption on beaches, public or private.​
“That private property owner, him or her, being prohibited from drinking a beer on their beach, I have a grief with this,” Chapman said.​
Banks suggested that if she was to be restricted from drinking on the beach for two months, everybody else in Walton County ought to be treated the same.​
If every property owner in the county was restricted from drinking outside for two months, she said, “I’ll drink inside.”​
An alternate ordinance that would address the private property concerns expressed Tuesday will be presented at the public hearing, county officials said.

Last edited by a moderator:

lauralbardin

Beach Lover
May 23, 2012
If Walton and Okaloosa Counties don't enact the same ordinance, this will be the next Panama City beach- and no one wants that. Maybe making the drinking age being older would be a better solution?

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
There needs to be a happy medium or the County runs the risk becoming so anal people will simply go elsewhere.

I recognize there is a movement afoot to "keep the trashy folks" and those some consider "undesirables" (IE) flag wavin, god fearing, hard workin, cigarette smokin, economically disadvantaged, dirty, unwashed, unkempt, truck drivin individuals and their families off the beaches but the bottom line is, public beaches belong to all of us and need to be respected. People need to be responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable if they aren't.

21 is the legal drinking age and if you aren't responsible enough at 21 to show some respect and responsibility chances are, you aren't ever going to be and no ordinance will change that. Underage drinking is another issue entirely and the Sheriff has filled the jail during Spring breaks and has done a pretty decent job of preventing a "Panama City" environment. That's his job! (And, his Uncle makes money too.)

I think retailers (including; hotel, motel, condo rental agents/owners) have an obligation to their customers and this County to enlighten their customers (maybe with pamphlets or flyers??) that irresponsible behavior will be dealt with by authorities and negative guest actions have consequences. If I invite you to my house I expect you to play by my rules and if you can't, you can go back to your damn house or see our damn jail!

surfdog

Beach Comber
Sep 12, 2006
There needs to be a happy medium or the County runs the risk becoming so anal people will simply go elsewhere.

I recognize there is a movement afoot to "keep the trashy folks" and those some consider "undesirables" (IE) flag wavin, god fearing, hard workin, cigarette smokin, economically disadvantaged, dirty, unwashed, unkempt, truck drivin individuals and their families off the beaches but the bottom line is, public beaches belong to all of us and need to be respected. People need to be responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable if they aren't.

21 is the legal drinking age and if you aren't responsible enough at 21 to show some respect and responsibility chances are, you aren't ever going to be and no ordinance will change that. Underage drinking is another issue entirely and the Sheriff has filled the jail during Spring breaks and has done a pretty decent job of preventing a "Panama City" environment. That's his job! (And, his Uncle makes money too.)

I think retailers (including; hotel, motel, condo rental agents/owners) have an obligation to their customers and this County to enlighten their customers (maybe with pamphlets or flyers??) that irresponsible behavior will be dealt with by authorities and negative guest actions have consequences. If I invite you to my house I expect you to play by my rules and if you can't, you can go back to your damn house or see our damn jail!
first to go-,sittin with your dog sleepin behind your chair all day,..next -cookin hotdogs for your kids for lunch as they play in the surf, next- no bottles,....well bottles did have to go, next -where did all the laid back crowd go- next- you cant park here like you have for 20 plus years, and what would this paradise be without making sure the tradition of a cold beer in the peak of pompano season is put to an end. btw its still ok to wave to each other goin down 30a got us a publix n a wal mart tho... im done venting

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
first to go-,sittin with your dog sleepin behind your chair all day,..next -cookin hotdogs for your kids for lunch as they play in the surf, next- no bottles,....well bottles did have to go, next -where did all the laid back crowd go- next- you cant park here like you have for 20 plus years, and what would this paradise be without making sure the tradition of a cold beer in the peak of pompano season is put to an end. btw its still ok to wave to each other goin down 30a got us a publix n a wal mart tho... im done venting

I think we are in more agreement than either of us realize.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think if Panama City Beach had truly enforced existing underage drinking laws and other existing ordinances, plus cracked down hard on the concerts at the beach, I believe their situation would not have escalated as it did. Now its so out of control that they need drastic measures on every front, not just alcohol bans.

I don't think Walton County needs such drastic measures. But we do need serious law enforcement in place and I believe we have that.

How do so many kids end up with rentals here when supposedly rental companies and owners don't allow them to rent?

surfdog

Beach Comber
Sep 12, 2006
I think if Panama City Beach had truly enforced existing underage drinking laws and other existing ordinances, plus cracked down hard on the concerts at the beach, I believe their situation would not have escalated as it did. Now its so out of control that they need drastic measures on every front, not just alcohol bans.

I don't think Walton County needs such drastic measures. But we do need serious law enforcement in place and I believe we have that.

How do so many kids end up with rentals here when supposedly rental companies and owners don't allow them to rent?
Teresa, i agree, and i have so much faith that our sheriff wont tolerate what has been goin down on front beach rd, let us never forget they have a sheriff that is as good as they come, but he has p.c., panama city beach and others limiting his abilities, front beach road is powerfull biz,, has been for a looong time, our sheriff doesnt have his hands tied like that, and niether do us locals.

VoiceOfReason

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2015
Completely uncalled for. Walton County's Sheriff Department does an excellent job enforcing under age drinking laws out on the beach, which is a major root of the PCB problem.
Panama City Beach has become a national embarrassment. The sheriff over there Frank M. Is doing everything he can to try to get it back into control and the drinking on the beach ban has become absolutely necessary. The club owners are the only one that benefit from it and the mayor Gayle Oberst seems to be in their pockets judging from some of her remarks and they are fighting Frank tooth and nail to keep it the status quo and it is going to take several years to fix that mess.
However, South Walton county isn't going to attract that massive spring break crowd. A majority of spring breakers are under age and as long as the age requirement is enforced it will suffice. Another barrier preventing that chaos is South Walton establishments close before 2 am (vs the former pcb 4 am) and there are no real night clubs. There is Pandoras and Baytowne but those are nothing like the super clubs(LaVela, Spinnaker, Harpoon Harrys, Sharkys) that the pcb spring break crowd is looking for. 30A/Sowal really has nothing to worry about. Destin/Okaloosa (Island) would be a more likely target replacement destination as that is where you find Night town, Ajs, Coyote Ugly, The swamp, Strip Clubs, ect. That is more along the lines of what the PCB spring break demographic is looking for.
A no alcohol on the beach ordinance is unneeded as that spring break crowd is not going to come to SoWal because they would find it too boring for the reasons mentioned above.