• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Why would "they" have to get with the Sheriff about anything? Don't "they" have a badge and the full authority of the State of Florida?

I assume because the SO has jurisdiction and has SRO's in all Walton County Schools. I really don't know. It's my understanding the complainant was told an SRO would be taking her complaint and that's what occurred. One would think that the mother could have walked into the PD and ask to file a complaint as every citizen has a right to do but in this instance when she went to the PD she was told an SRO would handle it.

Does the sheriff review all cases?
John please don't ask me a question and then answer the question.
Again, I assume because the SO has jurisdiction and has SRO's in all Walton County Schools.

Its all about control and being able to control who gets a report, who gets arrested...

Here's my opinion...which is all it is. I'm not a lawyer or a law enforcement ofc. The City of Defuniak encompasses 14 square miles. I don't know if the schools within that area are a part of the 14 miles or if jurisdiction for them is held by Walton County regardless of where the 14 mile perimeter is. I assume it was transferred to an SRO because the Sheriff has jurisdiction over all of Walton County. I think (again, just my opinion) it was damage control and pressure by school officials and the SO to keep this from becoming public. I do know for a fact that the school district did not want this made public or discussed by Staff with anyone. I've already said what I believe the Sheriff's recommendation will be to the DA. If actual ZERO tolerance were in place it would have meant the perpetrator would have faced the juvenile justice system which would have meant probation at best because it was a first offense, the records of which would be expunged at 18 if there were no more altercations. Worst case scenario, incarceration in a juvenile facility. I believe probation is warranted, I don't believe that's going to happen.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
P.S. I also think that the attacker owes the victim a sincere, written (in her own words) apology rather than the one that was posted to social media where she said she was sorry then blamed the victim for being punched!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
According to an article in the Defuniak Herald today there were 117 (total) incidents reported to the Florida Dept. of Education web site for School Environmental Safety regarding bullying/harassment and or other incidents including sex offenses, weapons, drugs, tobacco and alcohol in Walton County for the school year 2014-2015. The article also breaks down the numbers reported to police. The article does note that "some researchers, reporters and parents have questioned if the incidents are actually under-reported".

What the article doesn't say (that may come in a follow up story) is how many of those offenses (major offenses/crimes) that were reported to law enforcement actually resulted in charges because of ZERO Tolerance policies in the Walton County School System?

There was also an interesting Editorial by Alicia Leonard which pretty succinctly describes what she saw on that video, the Herald's position on why it was removed and in what ways the Community can make a difference. (I.E.) attending school board meetings which, in this county have historically been poorly attended. (poorly attended being my words, not hers but I'm sure she would agree.) It's pretty difficult to convince the School Board there is a problem with the effectiveness of any their policies if parents don't speak out about where those policies have failed their children. It's not just parents though, I've had people tell me they don't have children in the WCSS (my own graduated in 2003) and to that all I can add is, the substantial amount of school taxes you pay support the school system whether you have a child in the system or not. I'm also guilty, I haven't attended a school board meeting since before mine graduated but I've always had the option! When I did attend and had a grievance, I did for the most part get satisfactory results.