Thread: quick/easy meals while on vacation

quick/easy meals while on vacation

I need some suggestions for quick easy meals while on our vacation to Destin--staying where we have a kitchen. You know what I mean.........something that doesnt require a lot of ingredients, quick, cheap, but filling. Certainly dont want to take time away from the beach to cook!! We will do sandwiches, hotdogs, etc but would like to hear any suggestions. thanks

Images

Re: quick/easy meals while on vacation

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Mix together is a very large bowl:

2 cans of chicken (they come in the can)

2 cans of Old El Paso enchilada sauce (mild)

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can cream of celery soup

1 bag of Doritos (broken up)

1 large package of grated cheddar cheese (it comes already grated so you don’t have to do it)

Pour in a 13 X 9 cake pan and bake until bubbly and hot.

Approximately 30-40 minutes.

Serve as is or add sour cream and salsa.

A salad is a good side item.

Can also top with lettuce and tomato.

Images

Here's my menu for next week when we're in Seagrove. Maybe it will be a little useful to you.

FRIDAY (arrival day)
    Dinner: deli meal picked up from Publix since we're going there anyway to get milk and eggs for the week

SATURDAY
    Lunch: tuna fish sandwiches
    Dinner: chili Throw a bunch of cans together--beans, tomatoes, etc, and you have a good quick meal. Ice cream for dessert.

SUNDAY
    Lunch: yogurt and fruit
    Dinner: chicken stir-fry; bought a bottle of stir fry sauce at Trader Joe's and the fresh veggies and chicken breasts will come from Publix

MONDAY
    Lunch: leftover chili from Saturday night
    Dinner: Pasta and salad

TUESDAY
    Lunch: cheese and crackers
    Dinner: leftover chicken stir-fry from Sunday night; make fresh rice

WEDNESDAY
    Lunch: yogurt or tuna fish sandwich
    Dinner: fresh fish, baked potatoes, salad

THURSDAY
    Lunch: soup (from a packet) and salad, chips on side
    Dinner: out for dinner, let someone else cook tonight!

FRIDAY
    Lunch: yogurt and fruit for the trip back home

You'll see I'm making good use of leftovers. I like the idea of cooking once and get twice the meals from it!
    Dolce far niente

Images

chips and salsa/margarita

cheese and crackers/wine

hummus and triscuits/wine

peel-and-eat shrimp/beer and wine

veggies and dip/wine

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdarg

cheese and crackers/wine

veggies and dip/wine
    Jenay, meant to ask--does this mean you'll be off your no-wine diet next week?
    L'il Pea #2: Mom, do I have abs?
    L'il Pea #4: You have one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdarg

cheese and crackers/wine

veggies and dip/wine

Wine? Did you say wine? I forgot to pack that. That's a pretty serious omission! Thanks for the reminder. :oops:
    Dolce far niente

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid
    Wine? Did you say wine? I forgot to pack that. That's a pretty serious omission! Thanks for the reminder. :oops:
    I can't believe you have you whole week's menu written out! Unbelievable!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by steele mama
    I can't believe you have you whole week's menu written out! Unbelievable!
    I've been doing that for years because when I get to the beach my brains fly out the window. (on vacation you know ). If I have the food planned, no matter how roughly, it saves me the agony of thinking!!! I look at my list and I'm ready to go.
    Dolce far niente

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peapod1980
    Jenay, meant to ask--does this mean you'll be off your no-wine diet next week?
    Affirmative.

It will progress something like this:

Images

I had it on my grocery list last night, stood in the wine aisle and left emptyhanded. Mr. Pod does not partake, and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be buying just enough for me, or enough for the mass of us who will be partaking, so I gave up and left with nothing. Actually, I wanted to go to Trader Joe's before leaving, but that's not looking too good. And Sueshore still has not shown up to help me pack. What to do, what to do...
    L'il Pea #2: Mom, do I have abs?
    L'il Pea #4: You have one.

Images

Here's my menu for next week when we're in Seagrove. Maybe it will be a little useful to you.

FRIDAY (arrival day)
    Dinner: deli meal picked up from Publix since we're going there anyway to get milk and eggs for the week

SATURDAY
    Dinner: chili Throw a bunch of cans together--beans, tomatoes, etc, and you have a good quick meal. Ice cream for dessert.

SUNDAY
    Dinner: chicken stir-fry; bought a bottle of stir fry sauce at Trader Joe's and the fresh veggies and chicken breasts will come from Publix

MONDAY

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

FRIDAY

You'll see I'm making good use of leftovers. I like the idea of cooking once and get twice the meals from it!
    are you kidding me! you really plan everything out. i am amazed.
    "Nice parking. I guess they didn't have you in mind when they painted these lines." note left on Whiteyfunn's car
    www.30afunn.com
    30A Funn Facebook

Images

watch out jfunn...she might have a schedule for you, too! Mermy that is quite amazing. I am too spontaneous for that. What if you get up one morning and fruit makes you want to , can you change your mind?
    Which community along 30A shall we pillage this evening?....gttbm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sueshore
    watch out jfunn...she might have a schedule for you, too! Mermy that is quite amazing. I am too spontaneous for that. What if you get up one morning and fruit makes you want to , can you change your mind?
    Exactly. We always stock up on the neccesities like junk food and cervesa, then just let destiny take its course.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sueshore
    Silly kitty, of course you can change your mind. All you need to do is eat Wednesday's meal on Tuesday or Thursday's meal on Sunday...mix and match all the way. Mermaid is quite capable of being spontaneous (within the frame work of my list, of course )!!!!

Jessifunn, are you ready for another sandcastle cake???
    Dolce far niente

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we can!
    Images

Silly kitty, of course you can change your mind. All you need to do is eat Wednesday's meal on Tuesday or Thursday's meal on Sunday...mix and match all the way. Mermaid is quite capable of being spontaneous (within the frame work of my list, of course )!!!!

What are you having for dinner Friday night?1?
    Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. ~H.G. Wells

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gotothebeachmom
    What are you having for dinner Friday night?1?
    What are we having for dinner Friday night? Well, since we're headed your way on Friday, I thought you'd feed us!!! Or shall we do it the Miss Kitty way and make reservations.
    Dolce far niente

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we can!
    Images

What are we having for dinner Friday night? Well, since we're headed your way on Friday, I thought you'd feed us!!! Or shall we do it the Miss Kitty way and make reservations.
    Just teasing. GTTBD got in from his conference today and we were just discussing dinner next Friday! We're on it. Hopfully you'll like it. Cammifunn has suggested carrots, and green beans of the strained variety. We're going in a different direction!
    Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. ~H.G. Wells

Images

^5 Mermaid! I too plan out the menu for the week. But we are sharing a house with 3 other families. If you don't plan you end up spending WAY too much on food.

The one thing I do bring -- that everyone laughed at the first year -- is my crock pot. The first full day on the beach, I throw a brisket in it. No one wants to come off the beach to cook, so by the time the sun goes down, dinner is done and its easy and awesome dinner, and leftovers go into the lunch mix.

I guess I'm a closet Martha

Images

FRIDAY (arrival day)

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

MONDAY

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

FRIDAY

I mean this is a detailed list right down to when you eat the leftovers and by the way "make fresh rice" on Tuesday.

My menu for the week while on vacation

Saturday - Eat out

Sunday - Eat out

Monday - Eat out

Tuesday - Eat Out

Wednesday - Eat Out

Thursday - Eat Out

Friday - Eat Out

(OK maybe not every night - but most nights)

Part of the fun of vacation for us - is going to different places. We hit the old favorites and every time we try at least one new place - that will hopefully become a new favorite.

Wish I could be like Mermaid - etc - sure would save us some money - but I love going to our favorite restaurants - plus it helps the local economy!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~

I've been doing that for years because when I get to the beach my brains fly out the window. (on vacation you know ). If I have the food planned, no matter how roughly, it saves me the agony of thinking!!! I look at my list and I'm ready to go.
    Mermaid, I know what you mean. I made a grocery list of things to get at Publix before we ever left for our trip. That way I don't have to think, I just go and pick up what I have written down. We go out a few nights and stay in and cook a few nights. And we always stay in for breakfast and lunch. So I bring quite a bit of groceries with me, plus some pre-prepared dips and pasta dishes. That way when we get to town we just throw some chicken wings on the grill, and we have a great dinner our first night in town!

And you have to have wine for the trip! I had a half-full bottle of Chardonnay in the fridge the morning we left, and instead of leaving it at home I tossed it in the cooler. We brought it out as we were crossing the Florida state line and had it drank by the time we got to Seaside! It was the funnest way to celebrate our arriving after our 9-hour drive!

Images

[QUOTE=MKH]Mermaid, I know what you mean. I made a grocery list of things to get at Publix before we ever left for our trip. That way I don't have to think, I just go and pick up what I have written down. We go out a few nights and stay in and cook a few nights. And we always stay in for breakfast and lunch. So I bring quite a bit of groceries with me, plus some pre-prepared dips and pasta dishes. That way when we get to town we just throw some chicken wings on the grill, and we have a great dinner our first night in town!

And you have to have wine for the trip! I had a half-full bottle of Chardonnay in the fridge the morning we left, and instead of leaving it at home I tossed it in the cooler. We brought it out as we were crossing the Florida state line and had it drank by the time we got to Seaside! It was the funnest way to celebrate our arriving after our 9-hour drive![/QUOTE]^5^ MKH!!!!
    ~~Dream like you will live forever....Live like you will die tomorrow~~

Bring a big stock pot and boil fresh shrimp, new potatoes, corn...all you need is a salad and store bought key lime pie and you've got a great meal. We always stop at the shrimp boat right off of the 331 bridge on our way in.

Quote Originally Posted by arkiegirl
    I need some suggestions for quick easy meals while on our vacation to Destin--staying where we have a kitchen. You know what I mean.........something that doesnt require a lot of ingredients, quick, cheap, but filling. Certainly dont want to take time away from the beach to cook!! We will do sandwiches, hotdogs, etc but would like to hear any suggestions. thanks
    Here's my recipe for 'Beach Fries'-

Ingredients:
    One large bag frozen shoestring fries, thawed
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or a mixed blend of cheese works good)
    1/4 cup Half and half, approximate
    2 green onions, thinly chopped
    6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
    Salt, pepper, paprika

Take an 18" square sheet of aluminum foil, shiny side up. Spray it with Pam. Start with a half bag of the fries, then add all the toppings. Fold into a packet to put on the grill, poking holes in the top with a fork. Grill for about 20 minutes-yum. Top w/sour cream.

P.S.-I use half a bag so me and my husband have enough for 2 nights. Half a bag is just enough for he and I. If you have a bigger group, use the whole bag, double the toppings, and probably grill a little longer.

Images

And for funn, you can write your list on different color-paper! I'm a list-maker, too, Mermaid. I enjoy thinking ahead (it gives me another excuse to think about the beach and vacation) and I enjoy not having to think much when I'm there. I also keep a list of places we want to visit when we're here so that I don't forget (I get my ideas of where I want to go from SoWal.com, of course). Ohhh, I love lists...
    Paula

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Images

1. You can get steamed shrimp at Goatfeathers, add a salad and boiled corn - easy and cheap.

2. Buy fish at Goatfeathers, grill it on your Foreman, get a bagette and a Dole salad in a box at Publix, make my daugher's tomato bruschetta topping, and you have a cheap meal. Or if you don't want to make the bruschetta, boil some corn or grill some veggies of your choice, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Basil
    2 large tomatoes, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    6-8 basil leaves, slivered, plus a few more for a garnish
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    ˝ teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
    ˝ teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
    ˝ teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
    1 baguette, sliced thinly on the diagonal

Combine all ingredients except the last. Put olive oil on bread and broil until brown; repeat for other side. Serve tomato mixture over the bread, garnished with basil.

3. Another suggestion: get steaks at Modica, potatoes to bake, a Dole salad, and my daughter's green bean recipe. If you don't want to bother with making the her recipe, just add lemon juice and garlic salt to the nuked beans.

Lemon-Garlic Beans
    1 head elephant garlic
    1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    ˝ teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
    4 lemons, sliced thickly
    2 packages fresh French cut green beans

Sprinkle garlic with olive oil, pepper, and kosher salt, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Cook lemons at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
    Microwave beans for 8 minutes.
    Squeeze half of the lemons on the beans and reserve the rest. Smash the garlic, and toss the beans with the garlic, olive oil, and kosher salt. Garnish with remaining lemon slices.

4. Another night do the following with a salad:
    1 pound pasta
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 cloves of garlic, minced (you can buy it already minced)
    1 small onion, chopped
    1-2 cups white wine (dependent on diameter of pan and liquid content of tomatoes)
    1 bunch of basil (you can substitute the herb of your choice or fresh spinach or basil in a tube), torn by hand
    2 pints grape tomatoes, cut in half
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    ˝ teaspoon garlic powder
    1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (optional, if you add shrimp, call Goatfeathers early in the AM and they'll devein them for a small charge)
    Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Prepare pasta according to package directions.
    Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a sauté pan at a high temperature. Brown garlic and onion in the hot oil until browned. Add enough white wine to cover the garlic and onion mixture, and cook until deglazed (about 1 cup). Add basil and tomatoes. Reduce heat, continuing to add wine if mixture gets too dry or olive oil if it starts sticking. Add pepper, garlic salt, and garlic powder. Cook at least 10 minutes. If shrimp is used, increase temperature and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 2-7 minutes (dependent on size of shrimp).
    Drain pasta and toss with the sauce. Sprinkle cheese on each serving.

5. My sister's old pasta recipe and a salad.

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    3.5 ounces julienned sun-dried tomatoes (from the Publix produce section)
    1 ounce (about 3 tablespoons) of pignolia (pine) nuts (hard to find at Publix - at the end of one of the frozen food aisles)
    2 teaspoons dried basil (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
    Garlic salt, to taste (or minced garlic if you want to go to the trouble)
    1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (pay Goatfeathers to do that); or 1 pound chicken tenders
    1/2 yellow bell pepper (optional), cut into strips
    1 9 ounce package of fresh angel hair pasta or linguine
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat two tablespoons of olive oil, sauté tomatoes, pignolia nuts, basil, and garlic salt. Add chicken or shrimp, and sauté until chicken is done or shrimp is pink. Add bell pepper if desired.

In the meantime, cook pasta according to package directions. Toss cooked pasta in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice.

Serve chicken or shrimp mixture over the pasta. Serves 3.

6. The usual standby - get takeout pizza and do a bag salad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover2
    My menu for the week while on vacation

Saturday - Eat out

Sunday - Eat out

Monday - Eat out

Tuesday - Eat Out

Wednesday - Eat Out

Thursday - Eat Out

Friday - Eat Out

(OK maybe not every night - but most nights)

Part of the fun of vacation for us - is going to different places. We hit the old favorites and every time we try at least one new place - that will hopefully become a new favorite.

Wish I could be like Mermaid - etc - sure would save us some money - but I love going to our favorite restaurants - plus it helps the local economy!!!!
    That's is EXACTLY the same menu that I make. Although we do eat breakfast and lunch in, most of the time.

Images

I just ask Mr. Kitty where he wants to eat. He is good at making reservations on vacation. We like to go to Mod's and stock up on shrimp salad, chicken salad, cole slaw and those tasty buffalo chicken nuggets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paula
    And for funn, you can write your list on different color-paper! I'm a list-maker, too, Mermaid. I enjoy thinking ahead (it gives me another excuse to think about the beach and vacation) and I enjoy not having to think much when I'm there. I also keep a list of places we want to visit when we're here so that I don't forget (I get my ideas of where I want to go from SoWal.com, of course). Ohhh, I love lists...
    Paula, we are kindred spirits! I use a different color paper for my beach lists/menus. And, I print them all out on the computer. Some lists I can recycle year after year, and the grocery list is pretty standard too. I keep TRYING to add more "eat out" nights, but mr. dd is thrifty if nothing else. So, we usually do burgers one night, shrimp one night, fish on the grill one night and spaghetti one night. We always eat breakfast and lunch at the house or pack a cooler with sandwiches, etc. for the beach. Of course, when Alli and I open our business, you can all order lunch from us and have it delivered to you on the beach!!
    I love Jesus, but I drink a little. ~Gladys
    DD, I toad you it was pucking hot.~~Kitty
    "You're my fun, drunk aunt" ~~Layla to Vanessa 2011

Images

I love to use my palm pilot for lists, Mermaid. Everytime I get an idea for something to do at the beach, i type it into my palm pilot. I do the same with the grocery list for the beach. Then, when we get there, I have my list ready to go. I already have a full list of things to remember on the Saturday we arrive (for the week). That way, once I get to the beach I don't have to think any more.

I've planned some of the meals but not all because right now I'm on an "explore food on 30A" quest which I'm thoroughly enjoying. However, I've never been there at a peak summer week so we may decide to eat in more often this trip because I really don't enjoy standing in line. So, I think if you and Allifunn are planning a nice food delivery business, you'd do OK. I think some good well-placed "carts" with some special foods would do great as well if they're well placed.
    Paula

Images

The Mers are having tuna fish for lunch today!!! This is FUNN!

Images

planning ahead for meals always makes sense, especially when you can't just run to the store and you have no refrig space to speak of, plus, its the anticipatory thinking that makes the trip funn start earlier anyway!

experience says that the best things i ever bought for our trips was a fry baby and an 8" electric wok, which make for really quick, really good meals

the menu is always seafood (you really should be completely sick of seafood by the time you get back home or it isn't a successful vacation!)

i have two small food coolers that zip together and has a shoulder strap:

one cooler with ice, holding bags of fresh or individual-glazed-fresh-frozen fish (mahi-mahi, red snapper and some tuna steaks), extra-jumbo shrimp and steak fries, bags of field greens and packets of salad dressings

and one dry cooler for fixins that has some croutons, tempura batter mix and a hand full of skewers, a bottle of seasoned peanut oil, tony catchere's creole seasoning, dried lemon peel, garlic powder, ginger powder, horseradish powder, butter buds, chipotle powder, paprika, bacon bits, toothpicks and some salt and pepper

another small bag holds a 4 cup electric coffee pot, some coffee filter packs, creamer and sweetener

i have found that these spices and ingredients allow for making pretty much anything that a resturant can and fits, along with the coffee bag, fry baby and 8" electric wok, into the easily carried container

its a real treat to work on your food capabilities, going on local picnics and things where you have to cook like you were in vacation conditions and getting it all down perfect before the vacation comes

Images

Ya'll have given me some great ideas for our trip in Sept. I think what I'm going to do is cook up a big pot roast in the crock pot and make some barbecue before we go. Barbecue is good cold or hot. Another thing we are doing over the summer is everytime we by granola bars, pop tarts, those 100 calorie packs or whatever put back one or two bags. So will have a variety of snacks, 'cause that 11hour trip is looooonnnnnggggg.