Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: Who Has the Best French Fries in SOWAL?


  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ray View Post
    I agree first notes grilled burger is awesome. i put them up with the best around. angus beef and grilled and very reasonably priced. fries are good also
    I just had the Southern Belle burger at First Note Music Hall. It was great (as were the fries and hot wings); thanks for the head's up!

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by ccj View Post
    I just had the Southern Belle burger at First Note Music Hall. It was great (as were the fries and hot wings); thanks for the head's up!
    I am seeing fried green tomatoes everywhere lately.

    Shades has real fries.
    Connect with SoWal   

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SoWal, FL
    Posts
    20,291
    Images
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemtnrunner View Post
    Thanks guys, Edward's fries (aka pomme frites) are cut daily from fresh Idaho potatoes. We fry them up and season them with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and malt vinegar. That's it, that's all. Nothing frozen, nothing artificial, nothing crazy, just pure deliciousness.
    pomme frite - the original and the best french fry!
    Connect with SoWal !


    Get your Local Events and Live Music on SoWal.com.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,886
    Images
    169

    Make your own McDonald's fries!

    Perfect French Fries (adapted from David Myers's recipe for "pommes frites")
    Ingredients:
    6 Idaho russet potatoes
    Peanut oil
    Sea salt (Myers prefers Sel Gris, a fine light grey French salt)
    Method:
    Peel and square off potato ends. Cut into 3/8" batons. Soak for two hours changing water after an hour. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. Heat about an inch of oil (or enough to cover potatoes) in a large, heavy bottomed pot to 290 degrees. Blanch potatoes gently for about two minutes until cooked through but still completely pale. Place on a paper-towel lined sheet pan and cool in the refrigerator to stop cooking process.
    Re-heat oil to 370 degrees. Cook fries until golden and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes. If necessary, agitate gently with a spatula to prevent sticking. Remove from pan and toss with salt to taste (Myers doesn't blot but you can if you want less fat). Serve immediately. Recipe serves 4 to 6.
    "No, I don't skinny-dip. I chunky-dunk."


    Sleep Talkin' Man - 10/15/10

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    4,349
    Images
    87
    I like the fries at Wild Olives and love the onion rings at Nick's.

    30A home of glorious sunsets.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SoWal, FL
    Posts
    20,291
    Images
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Will B View Post
    Perfect French Fries (adapted from David Myers's recipe for "pommes frites")
    Ingredients:
    6 Idaho russet potatoes
    Peanut oil
    Sea salt (Myers prefers Sel Gris, a fine light grey French salt)
    Method:
    Peel and square off potato ends. Cut into 3/8" batons. Soak for two hours changing water after an hour. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. Heat about an inch of oil (or enough to cover potatoes) in a large, heavy bottomed pot to 290 degrees. Blanch potatoes gently for about two minutes until cooked through but still completely pale. Place on a paper-towel lined sheet pan and cool in the refrigerator to stop cooking process.
    Re-heat oil to 370 degrees. Cook fries until golden and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes. If necessary, agitate gently with a spatula to prevent sticking. Remove from pan and toss with salt to taste (Myers doesn't blot but you can if you want less fat). Serve immediately. Recipe serves 4 to 6.
    omg, I think I could live on french fries (like this) alone.
    Connect with SoWal !


    Get your Local Events and Live Music on SoWal.com.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SoWal, FL
    Posts
    20,291
    Images
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
    I like the fries at Wild Olives and love the onion rings at Nick's.
    agree! I like the fries at Nicks too.
    Connect with SoWal !


    Get your Local Events and Live Music on SoWal.com.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa Beach
    Posts
    738
    I like the fries at Shorty's, think they use the same oil as the seafood and it adds flavor!
    Basically, I'm just passing through on my way to Australia.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SoWal, FL
    Posts
    20,291
    Images
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebraspots View Post
    I like the fries at Shorty's, think they use the same oil as the seafood and it adds flavor!
    coated fries. disappointing to me. but I do love their fish sandwich and other dishes!
    Connect with SoWal !


    Get your Local Events and Live Music on SoWal.com.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,886
    Images
    169
    Mmmm mmmm mmmm....

    I tried the recipe I posted above. Good stuff. I do believe the 2 hour soak and double fry are the key.

    "No, I don't skinny-dip. I chunky-dunk."


    Sleep Talkin' Man - 10/15/10

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    4,349
    Images
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Allifunn View Post
    I make a total pig of myself when it comes to these onion rings !!
    they are the best I have ever had and the sweet potatoes fries are very good too. Everything at Nick's is delicious.

    30A home of glorious sunsets.

  12. #62
    My vote has to go to Edward's. His are as good as any Pomme Fritte I have in a very long time and the best anywhere on 30A. Most use that nasty coating and no they are not very good. So keep up the great work Chef Edward.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seacrest Beach
    Posts
    466
    Ok, has anyone had the French Fries at Pickles in Seaside and also had the fries at 98 BBQ and Edwards(the two best IMO)? I need an honest review before I go tackle the masses...I believe I have had almost every fry in SOWAL (haven't been to the Vue or Local Catch yet). Thanks.
    "Victory Through Knowledge"

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SoWal, FL
    Posts
    20,291
    Images
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Ok, has anyone had the French Fries at Pickles in Seaside and also had the fries at 98 BBQ and Edwards(the two best IMO)? I need an honest review before I go tackle the masses...I believe I have had almost every fry in SOWAL (haven't been to the Vue or Local Catch yet). Thanks.
    Pickles in Seaside has outstanding fries!
    98 BBQ - very good, hand cut

    I had some excellent fries at Hurricane Oyster Bar last week.

    If they are coated, they aren't worth reporting. no thanks!!!
    Connect with SoWal !


    Get your Local Events and Live Music on SoWal.com.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Mashed Potatoes or French Fries~~~~~~
    By Lynnie in forum SoWal Lounge
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 11:14 PM
  2. Anyone speak french?
    By avalon in forum SoWal Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 07:38 PM
  3. Need A French Tutor
    By marti schmidt in forum Business, Goods and Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 08:11 AM
  4. Nosh Alert: Polenta Fries at Fire
    By SON in forum Dining and Food
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM
  5. Ding Fries Are Done
    By John R in forum SoWal Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 09:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •