Thread: Retraction By NY Times of Tea Party Racial Slurs

Retraction By NY Times of Tea Party Racial Slurs

Amazing how this retraction didn't get any media attention. A small blurb in the NY Times 4 months after the fact. They were forced to admit there was no proof to this story. The original story made headlines because the MSM was foaming at the mouth to make tea partiers out to be racial nutjobs.

Ed Driscoll ? The New York Times Issues a Correction

How can we as Americans make informed decisions when we are being led around by manipulative journalism? The NY Times is no longer a credible source imo. They just make up news to push their political agenda.

Regardless of political affiliation you have to be outraged by the irresponsible journalism here.

A forced Move to Santa Rosa Beach because my daughter doesn't trust me to be on my own.
    Andrew, it will stay quiet that's the way it works. I will also bet that this thread will be a quiet one also.

Nice try spinning this but you are using the wrong term, it was a correction not a retraction. They are stating there is no proof the slurs came from a Tea Party member (there were many in attendance) not that the incident did not take place. Here is the quote from the NYT's article which I curiously could not find in your links.

Correction: July 25, 2010, Sunday
    This article has been revised to reflect the following correction: The Political Times column last Sunday, about a generational divide over racial attitudes, erroneously linked one example of a racially charged statement to the Tea Party movement. While Tea Party supporters have been connected to a number of such statements, there is no evidence that epithets reportedly directed in March at Representative John Lewis, Democrat of Georgia, outside the Capitol, came from Tea Party members.
    "We must recognize the fact that adequate food is only the first requisite for life. For a decent and humane life we must also provide an opportunity for good education, remunerative employment, comfortable housing, good clothing and effective and compassionate medical care." Norman Borlaug

How is this spin? Does anyone here think this story wasn't specifically directed at Tea Party folk? The fact is they reported unsubstantiated claims that Tea Party members shouted racial slurs.

Redneck riviera,a wonderful state of mind.
    Liberal elitists have a hard time admitting when they are wrong,such as their elected leader.ie surge working/works.
    G.W.Bush's general Betrayus,now Obamas General Petraeus.
    Last edited by walk the walk; 08-05-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Nice try spinning this but you are using the wrong term, it was a correction not a retraction. They are stating there is no proof the slurs came from a Tea Party member (there were many in attendance) not that the incident did not take place. Here is the quote from the NYT's article which I curiously could not find in your links.

I don't know how you missed it.... Right there in the first paragraph of the link.

Images
    here's how it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunspotbaby For This Useful Post:

Images
    Here's my take on the whole thing...

It was a fabrication to try and make the Tea Party members look bad. It was obvious from the video that some spittle flew while chanting and yelling, but that's different from dillerberatley spitting on somebody. One claim down.

In this day of technology, there were probably more cameras and digital recorders there than could be counted. The claims that Rep. Andre Carson made cannot be backed up...period. Andrew Breitbart offered $100,000 for recorded proof that the slurs were uttered. Nobody ever came forward. I'm sorry, but even somebody on the Tea Party side would have taken that money if there was proof. Additionally, nobody even tried to fake a recording.

IMHO...it didn't go down like they claimed it did. There's more proof that it didn't than proof that it did...
    "No, I don't skinny-dip. I chunky-dunk."

Sleep Talkin' Man - 10/15/10

A forced Move to Santa Rosa Beach because my daughter doesn't trust me to be on my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    "Slurs" Interesting word choice Poppy.

Images
    I love the tea party. It's the best thing that ever happened to the Democratic party.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciferSam View Post
    I love the tea party. It's the best thing that ever happened to the Democratic party.
    that's like saying Alzheimers is the best thing that ever happened to cancer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspotbaby View Post
    that's like saying Alzheimers is the best thing that ever happened to cancer.
    If you want to equate the Tea Party with dementia you'll get no objections from me.

Images
    here's how it works.
    That was great!
    bursts and snippets

Images
    I guess now I'll have to start embracing the tea party. Sign me up!

I don't know how you missed it.... Right there in the first paragraph of the link.
    I guess I missed it because the only link I see in the first paragraph is to Andrew Breitbart.
    "We must recognize the fact that adequate food is only the first requisite for life. For a decent and humane life we must also provide an opportunity for good education, remunerative employment, comfortable housing, good clothing and effective and compassionate medical care." Norman Borlaug

Quote Originally Posted by Will B View Post
    Here's my take on the whole thing...

It was a fabrication to try and make the Tea Party members look bad. It was obvious from the video that some spittle flew while chanting and yelling, but that's different from dillerberatley spitting on somebody. One claim down.

In this day of technology, there were probably more cameras and digital recorders there than could be counted. The claims that Rep. Andre Carson made cannot be backed up...period. Andrew Breitbart offered $100,000 for recorded proof that the slurs were uttered. Nobody ever came forward. I'm sorry, but even somebody on the Tea Party side would have taken that money if there was proof. Additionally, nobody even tried to fake a recording.

IMHO...it didn't go down like they claimed it did. There's more proof that it didn't than proof that it did...
    Exactly how many of those videos were viewed to reach the conclusion it never happened?

Poppy you're too politically jaded to understand right from wrong here? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    Poppy you're too politically jaded to understand right from wrong here? I think not.
    Nobody can hate like a liberal............especially a young liberal........... their brain is filled with other peoples' fodder.
    I have to drink some whisky to kill the pain just to smoke a cigarette!!........said a friend with peumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmap View Post
    Nobody can hate like a liberal............especially a young liberal........... their brain is filled with other peoples' fodder.
    You're Right...talk about brains filled with hate.....Live From our very own Ft Walton Beach!!!!

Last edited by AlphaCrab; 08-05-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    "When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky". -The Buddha

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaCrab For This Useful Post:

If you believe that video you need serious therapy. Didn't Air America steal money from the boyscouts to fund their program?

What does this have to do with the fact that the NY Times had to admit inaccurate reporting?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    How is this spin? Does anyone here think this story wasn't specifically directed at Tea Party folk? The fact is they reported unsubstantiated claims that Tea Party members shouted racial slurs.
    And they did the proper thing and corrected it in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgy Grammy View Post
    "Slurs" Interesting word choice Poppy.
    Uh, you might want to look at the title of this thread by AndrewG.
    Last edited by poppy; 08-06-2010 at 02:11 AM.