Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hilton Home In Seacrest Beach - Paradise By The Sea

Hilton Home In Seacrest Beach - Paradise By The Sea

I have seen the photographs of the Hilton Home at Seacrest Beach posted on this website. What can you tell me about this home? Architect? Owners? Length of construction? Proposed use?

re: Hilton Home In Seacrest Beach - Paradise By The Sea

I wish i could remember the architect. I saw a web page about it years ago and can't find it again. I'm going to have to do some digging.

Here's a thread about it:
    http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.p...0&page=1&pp=30
    Connect with SoWal   

I think it is dyson, go to www.ArthurDyson.com

Thanks! Click on residences and it's the first one. Fascinating photos and description.

Nestled amid the sand dunes on the Gulf of Mexico at Panama City, Florida, the Hilton residence contains 9,500 square feet of living space. Primary rooms are suspended on concrete pods at various levels within a greenhouse structure of coral-tinted reflective glazing. One interior stairway encircles a glass-enclosed elevator, while another winds around fully grown native palms. The top lacuna of an exterior two-level saltwater swimming pool fountains into the lower basin, then enters the interior by flowing beneath the edge of a glazed wall. Tiered roof wings sweep upward, forming a series of clerestories that shield the open floor plan from excessive sun exposure while presenting unobstructed views of the oceanfront during daytime and allowing stargazing at night. Remote-controlled fabric panels placed strategically over the glazing provide additional solar protection.

Interior spaces flow freely without walls or partitions, while scale and volume are tempered through the placement of palms and other tropical flora. Level changes rhythmically establish area separations and maximize direct ocean views. The varying colors and textures of terraces, walls, planters, and pools avoid sharp definitions of boundary, integrating the the interior and exterior of the home into a sense of contained movement. The gestures of the form join harmoniously with the surrounding swell of seabird, ocean waves, and sand dunes that embrace an exceptional building site. Everything set forward for the program by the clients indicated a desire for fluidity. All the exterior benefits of the site, such as sea breezes and ocean sunsets, are integrated into the residence to establish a refuge from the hectic pace of a busy business life and create a soothing place to relax, read, and write.
    Connect with SoWal   

Images

Ok, today I am making a formal offer of $500,000 for the house

Images

If you squint your eyes it kinda looks like waves washing around pilings.

Images

The inside of a watch.

They sure will have a good view of Alys Beach from the op of that missile silo.

Images

It's obvious that the Architect spent enormous amounts of time insuring the design blends well with the existing architectural heritage. Would it not be a better design if it blended so well with its' surroundings that it was hardly noticed? Maybe if it was painted solid white it would mesh well Alys Beach.

Images

Maybe they could paint it with camo paint.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georgian
    It's obvious that the Architect spent enormous amounts of time insuring the design blends well with the existing architectural heritage. Would it not be a better design if it blended so well with its' surroundings that it was hardly noticed? Maybe if it was painted solid white it would mesh well Alys Beach.
    Well - some like to be different. And besides, the whole area is different. What heritage do you speak of?

Perhaps they meant architectural integrity? No, wait.. :wink:

That is seriously one ugly house..there is no where you could build it that it would compliment the landscape.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustBeachy
    That is seriously one ugly house..there is no where you could build it that it would compliment the landscape.
    Oh, I dunno about that. I think it looks really avante garde .... for a concrete plant.

Still, I'd see the prior offer and raise it by 10K.

It seems to cause reaction. It seems you either like it or not.
    Connect with SoWal   

On second thought..it would look totally hot on the moon! :laughing1

Images

I like it in concept. Love modern architecture in general, and I think they're doing some neat things with it. But I think it really needs to be on a 5-10 acre parcel with the right kind of landscaping/vegetation, including some bigger trees/shrubbery that makes the whole project seem more in scale.

Images

I'm indifferent to Charlie's house, but I think if we found such a thing 100 years from now, buried under the sea, divers would come from all over just to see it, and it would draw even more curiosity.

If it is finished by then?

Images

One of my favorite architects and one of the most important of the 20th century was Le Corbusier who saw buildings as "machines for living". To me it looks like something he would do in this day. First time I saw it, I thought they used Le Corbusiers chapel at Ronchamps as their inspiration (hope my photo uploaded). Put it somewhere in France and maybe it would be complement the landscape. It does break all rules regarding "blending in" but wasn't that the purpose? Has anyone else heard that stimulus for the house was because they wouldn't let him put up anymore highrises along 30A? Also heard that Michael Jordan used to own the house next to it and fought it tooth and nail. Can anybody confirm any of this. I have great views of both homes and just curious if any of it is true.

Yes, it messes up our "feel" but it also should increase our property values. If it has half the light detail of Ronchamps and not just the form, it should be quite a masterpiece. Vive innovation, I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Cork On the Ocean
    One of my favorite architects and one of the most important of the 20th century was Le Corbusier who saw buildings as "machines for living". To me it looks like something he would do in this day. First time I saw it, I thought they used Le Corbusiers chapel at Ronchamps as their inspiration (hope my photo uploaded). Put it somewhere in France and maybe it would be complement the landscape. It does break all rules regarding "blending in" but wasn't that the purpose? Has anyone else heard that stimulus for the house was because they wouldn't let him put up anymore highrises along 30A? Also heard that Michael Jordan used to own the house next to it and fought it tooth and nail. Can anybody confirm any of this. I have great views of both homes and just curious if any of it is true.

Yes, it messes up our "feel" but it also should increase our property values. If it has half the light detail of Ronchamps and not just the form, it should be quite a masterpiece. Vive innovation, I guess.
    Michael is not true.
    Connect with SoWal   

Images

Hey kurt,

Did michael ever own it? Heard it in several places. Also did Steven Tyler get the idea house in Watersound. When you took the tour the driver was going on about the 4 celebs that bid on it with Tyler at 12 mil

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cork On the Ocean
    Hey kurt,

Did michael ever own it? Heard it in several places. Also did Steven Tyler get the idea house in Watersound. When you took the tour the driver was going on about the 4 celebs that bid on it with Tyler at 12 mil
    Is there a 30-A tour that we don't know about? I guess if the group on the tour bus doesn't know, the driver can say just about anything.

Images

You've got that right. You had to park back away from the idea house and a little old lady drove a minibus or tram or something. She went on and on about all the stars that have been bidding on it. Personally, I wasn't impressed with the house. Beachfront with no balconies directly facing the water exept for first floor as I remember. Pretty decorating though. Now you can drive all the way back through the subdivision

Looks like Phase I of the Jetson's Subdivison--goes nicely with the Flintstones Water Park in Cypress Breeze don'tyathink?
    Last edited by SHELLY; 11-13-2005 at 01:46 PM.

Images

thought I'd regenerate the Hilton thread -
    rumors always abound as to the ownership, cost, etc. Today, someone stopped in my office asking directions to what she was certain was Tom Clancy's $60,000,000 home!
    That's what the sales folks at a time-share presentation told her.

Images

Am I the only one who thinks the house next to Hilton's (to the east) is way uglier? To my eyes, the one next door is tacky subdivision McMansion.

(No offense to current and past owners, your mileage may vary, no affiliation with architects and builders, etc. - all the standard disclaimers)

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFrog
    Am I the only one who thinks the house next to Hilton's (to the east) is way uglier? To my eyes, the one next door is tacky subdivision McMansion.

(No offense to current and past owners, your mileage may vary, no affiliation with architects and builders, etc. - all the standard disclaimers)
    Got a picture of that one?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling JOe
    I'm indifferent to Charlie's house, but I think if we found such a thing 100 years from now, buried under the sea, divers would come from all over just to see it, and it would draw even more curiosity.
    Haha. When I see it, I get this image of the Planet of the Apes. And instead of the Statue of Liberty poking out of the sand, it's the Hilton house.

I've always thought it was being built to look like a cruise ship...looking from the beach side of it.

29. re: Hilton Home In Seacrest Beach - Paradise By The Sea

I agree as well, both of those homes are so out of place.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tidalfish
    Got a picture of that one?
    Nope.

It is a Georgian style?

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my heart in SoWal
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kurt
    It is a Georgian style?

Yeah, a faux Mediterranean Georgian with two giant palm trees on either side.

It is majestic and all but in no way suits the landscape. Charlie's house, I am used to. The two next to each other ... hideous. And easy to see, unfortunately, now that all that vegetation is down.
    Proud to practice indoctrination
    at least when it comes to the GATOR NATION

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with most of you and don't like the looks of the Hilton home. However, it seems that that thing has been under construction for years, maybe before anyone knew what was going to happen in that area (and didn't know it would need to blend). Seems like it was there when nothing else was except maybe what I use to think (or was told) was a nude beach. Remember when the cars used to park along 30A but you never saw any people. I guess they were naked in the dunes.

Images

They are quickly building in Charlie's neighborhood, so the two houses may not look so out of place for long. I see one house, probably 3000sf, is now getting about 1800 additional sf.

There are a lot of things out of place here. The Hilton house is just bigger. And I love it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pgurney
    ng built to look like a cruise ship...looking from the beach side of it.
    From 30A, it does favor a cruise ship, but from the beach, I think it looks more like an opera house. If you look through my photo album, somewhere in there are photos of the house from the beach.

Images

I am also confused by the starter castle architecture of some homes down there. There is enough of that in the city, why would anyone want that on a beach? I find that the houses like that here in Dallas are always helped by some beautiful trees out front to hide the massiveness. I still wonder who needs 6-7,000 sq. ft. for a house?
    Which community along 30A shall we pillage this evening?....gttbm

Images

I wouldn't have said it first, but now that you have, I completely agree! It's not the house per se, but the not fitting into its landscape is what makes me grimace every time I see it. That house belongs in Mayfair, in London. It's a city house that needs depth and scale around it to make it shine. And tall trees! As it stands now, it's this oversized sore thumb that just juts out of the sand. Pity to do that to such a traditional home as that. It turns a classic design ugly.

That addition to the house down the street from it-- the one Smiling JOe mentioned--it's very ungainly and awkward looking to my eyes.

Count me among those who love the Hilton house even though the guy's an environment jerk. Odd for me, too, because I'm really not so much a fan of modern architecture as all that. I think the house is not well-sited, though. Like its awkward monstrosity of a neighbor, the land fights it, not enhances it.
    Dolce far niente

Nope.
    Is this it?

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my heart in SoWal
    Images

Yep!

Images

6 months later, and I still like the Hilton house way more than the neighbor.

I sure hope they open it up for a tour when they finish it. I'd love to see the inside. If not, maybe Kurt can talk them into letting him shoot it.

does this mean those girls will be coming down here? look out...

We just saw the Hilton house on vacation. We thought it was Hilton as in Paris but found out Charlie Hilton is from Louisville (as are we). I think he owns a concrete company. Sorry I don't think you will be seeing Paris anytime soon.

You know, one of the things I love about South Walton is the variety and oddities. Every time I come down here I drive around looking at everything that's been built in the past six months. It's so much more fun than Columbus, OH where virtually all of the housing looks pretty much the same,...very boring. Our house here in Columbus is pretty typical, inside and out, very conservative, nice but sort of dull. But, our house at the beach is sort of like the leaning tower of Pisa and filled with flamingos and color. It's known as Paradise Romantica and you can find pictures at www.GarrettRealty.com. It's where we let our hair down, relax and have fun. No one needs a beach house, much less a beach mansion, but it sure makes life interesting and more fun. Personally, I love the photos from above the Hilton House that show it's true design, "Winged Dove" and I also find the juxtapostion of the Georgian Mansion and the ultra modern Hilton house amusing. I, for one, love that people are able to express themselves here and hope that never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise Sea
    I, for one, love that people are able to express themselves here and hope that never changes.
    .....as long as it complies subdivision covenents. (Try painting your house at Aly's flamingo pink and see what happens)
    But hey...Top Ramen tastes a whole lot better when you eat it off of a Granite Countertop. (Mr & Mrs Too Much Homebuyer)

Shelly,

Right you are, but we have so many different types of neighborhoods to choose from.

It is just an incredible house, so before its time.

Bringing this post back from the dead but...

I visited here for my 3rd time this past may and drove by this house on the way to my condo. I was amazed, being an architecture student here in houston, I had to know more about the house. So I approached it from a beach one day and got as close as I was allowed to but still wasn't happy. So I emailed Mr. Dyson (the architect) and he was happy enough to send me more pictures. This is all I have at my work computer, but there's more at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by J-WS6 View Post
    Bringing this post back from the dead but...

I visited here for my 3rd time this past may and drove by this house on the way to my condo. I was amazed, being an architecture student here in houston, I had to know more about the house. So I approached it from a beach one day and got as close as I was allowed to but still wasn't happy. So I emailed Mr. Dyson (the architect) and he was happy enough to send me more pictures. This is all I have at my work computer, but there's more at home.
    Thanks for posting! I for one would love a tour.

Images

Thanks for the update and ! Are these photos current? Did he say if or when it would be finished?
    Last edited by Miss Kitty; 08-06-2007 at 08:21 AM.
    Which community along 30A shall we pillage this evening?....gttbm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast