Thread: Healthcare For All !!

Healthcare For All !!

Finally! The sweeping Democratic Healthcare bill passed late last night 220-215 with one Republican (Cao-LA) for the bill and 39 Dems against.House GOP amendment (replacement bill) was defeated....

A great victory for President Obama and our country. Three cheers!

Quote of the day from the wonderful Nancy Pelosi.."Well, that was easy!"
    Last edited by AlphaCrab; 11-08-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    "When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky". -The Buddha

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaCrab For This Useful Post:

Images
    I'm amazed this passed with such a thin margin. That doesn't bode well for the Senate bill. Should be interesting to see what happens next.

Images
    i want my mri now!!!

Images
    For an MRI with contrast, press 1. For an MRI without contrast press2.

Images
    Interesting write-up on what's still to come -

Hot Air Blog Archive Is this the high-water mark for ObamaCare?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCrab View Post
    Finally! The sweeping Democratic Healthcare bill passed late last night 220-215 with one Republican (Cao-LA) for the bill and 39 Dems against.House GOP amendment (replacement bill) was defeated....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNeXJg0Sh1Q"]YouTube- Santana - Winning Lyrics[/ame]

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama thrown in.

Great political victory for the President-----Yes
    Great victory for our country--------NO
    Adding 1 trillion in new debt and still not insuring everyone or adding doctors or reforming the tort system is not a victory.

Great victory for the anti-abortion crowd----no, a hollow victory at best, really just job protection for bluedog democrats.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by idlewind View Post
    Great political victory for the President-----Yes
    Great victory for our country--------NO
    Adding 1 trillion in new debt and still not insuring everyone or adding doctors or reforming the tort system is not a victory.

Great victory for the anti-abortion crowd----no, a hollow victory at best, really just job protection for bluedog democrats.
    The actual government spending increases once fully implemented for this particular bill are around 2.6 trillion per decade. That's about 260 billion per year in added taxes, or about $1000.00 a year per citizen. "Free" healthcare can be expensive.

Yes, $2.6 Trillion! A Closer Look at the Full 10 Years of Spending in the House Health Bill The Foundry

10. Quote Originally Posted by 30ashopper View Post
    The actual government spending increases once fully implemented for this particular bill are around 2.6 trillion per decade. That's about 260 billion per year in added taxes, or about $1000.00 a year per citizen. "Free" healthcare can be expensive.

Yes, $2.6 Trillion! A Closer Look at the Full 10 Years of Spending in the House Health Bill The Foundry
    1000 a year? sounds like a deal, but why do i get the feeling I'm going to be putting in an extra 10000 a year?

If domestically Obama becomes liked to LBJ, then so be it. You'all I am just still kind of giddy about Obama's s great victory and the victory over the total tyranny of the existing Healthcare Cartel ( Healthcare insursnce Companies).

I am very proud, for the second time this year, to be an American!
    "When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky". -The Buddha

Can someone explain who is going to pay for this and who is going to provide the care being promised to everyone?

Images
    If domestically Obama becomes liked to LBJ, then so be it. You'all I am just still kind of giddy about Obama's s great victory and the victory over the total tyranny of the existing Healthcare Cartel ( Healthcare insursnce Companies).

What do you mean by that? Can you give some details?

Images
    I watched CSPAN for a while that night and the regurgitation of phrases that began with "the government will..." made my stomach turn.
    Last edited by mtlinscomb; 11-09-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    Can someone explain who is going to pay for this and who is going to provide the care being promised to everyone?
    1. Everyone who has a job and pays taxes forever and ever. Free for anyone else - redistribution of wealth.

2. Rationing and government selection of those deemed "worthy".
    BEACH LOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by tsutcli View Post
    1. Everyone who has a job and pays taxes forever and ever. Free for anyone else - redistribution of wealth.

2. Rationing and government selection of those deemed "worthy".

Before you begin to discuss "redistribution of wealth" in terms of healthcare--let me clue you in. The top1% of the wealthiest in the country own more and have more than the LOWER 90% of the entire rest of the country. Then only the top 1/3 of this 1% will be additionally taxed for Healthcare.

That is not a "redistribution of wealth" as much as it is a slight correction of an outrageous inequity and an abomenation!

Get your information correct before spouting off non factual information to folks!
    Last edited by AlphaCrab; 11-09-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Images

I sincerely applaud your passion and genuinely respect this kind of passion in everyone. Second time: The Inauguration or the Prize being the first?

I wouldn't take this comparison to LBJ too lightly......or, to FDR, either.
    Helping others is a gift.

Images
    Before you begin to discuss "redistribution of wealth" in terms of healthcare--let me clue you in. The top1% of the wealthiest in the country own more and have more than the LOWER 90% of the entire rest of the country. Then only the top 1/3 of this 1% will be additionally taxed for Healthcare.

That is not a "redistribution of wealth" as much as it is a slight correction of an outrageous inequity and an abomenation!

Get your information correct before spouting off non factual information to folks!

hnooe is back!
    Which community along 30A shall we pillage this evening?....gttbm

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty View Post
    hnooe is back!
    what, where?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
    I sincerely applaud your passion and genuinely respect this kind of passion in everyone. Second time: The Inauguration or the Prize being the first?

I wouldn't take this comparison to LBJ too lightly......or, to FDR, either.
    Oh no, Linnie, the Prize was a bit premature I do believe--I do not hink he has earned that quite yet.

The rest of the World may think so, but I do not. The Prize was really awarded to Obama by the World simply for NOT being Mr. Bush.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    what, where?
    Hello, Adorable!

I suspect you mean that the CEO's of the world will pay for the rest of us to have all the healthcare we want/need and not have to pay for it ourselves (?because we deserve it). I think I follow. Now, the part I'm struggling with is your contention that those not in the upper third of the top 1% won't pay for this. Pfizer (evil drug company that makes $ off life saving drugs like Lipitor) has merged with Wyeth in a cost cutting move. Together, they will eliminate over 19,000 jobs and close 6 sites of research across the country. I suspect the CEO's will keep their jobs. I believe this is the top 1/3 of 1% "redistributing" wealth back their direction, "slightly correcting" what they believe is a coming "outrageous inequity", or "OBAMAnation".

The class warfare that is being applauded on the left will only result in more outsourcing and further erosion of our middle class.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty View Post
    hnooe is back!
    And you guessed that when?
    Dolce far niente

Images
    Hi! It's me, the hardworking (when I'm not Sowalling) tax paying middle class American who just wants a break from the rapidly increasing health insurance premiums and overall screwing by the health insurance industry - no class warfare, no massive taxes, no redistribution of wealth, just some basic rules and regulations to check the craziness.

I want myself and my family and friends to be able to GET and AFFORD (10% of your income seems a fair max) health insurance.

Why is that so awful???

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scooterbug44 For This Useful Post:

Images

"I want, what he's got, but I don't want to earn it."

Quote Originally Posted by 30ashopper View Post
    "I want, what he's got, but I don't want to earn it."

Look, I've been working since I was 12. I want affordable health insurance. I'm not asking for that trillion dollars, or free health insurance, or free health care.

Don't you realize that up until this bill, health insurers were exempt from antitrust laws? Isn't that a big old clue that they have a lot more power with the lawmakers than the consumers do?

Quote Originally Posted by Here4Good View Post
    Look, I've been working since I was 12. I want affordable health insurance. I'm not asking for that trillion dollars, or free health insurance, or free health care.

Don't you realize that up until this bill, health insurers were exempt from antitrust laws? Isn't that a big old clue that they have a lot more power with the lawmakers than the consumers do?
    Very well stated Here4Good!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Here4Good View Post

I'm not arguing that some reform isn't needed. But this bill carries with it far more than a few reforms. It's not even a reform bill per se, it's a massive tax and spend bill.

Alpha Crab's comment about this bill only taxing some very small percentage of the population is flat out wrong. This bill taxes everybody in all sorts of ways, in an effort to subsidize healthcare payments to private insurers and providers. That's not reform, that's a government give away.

As far as taxes go - there are new taxes in the house bill that will effect everyone. Employer requirements and taxes for coverage, an individual mandate, new restrictions on HSAs, caps on FSAs, a new 45% marginal rate for high incomes, increased taxes on the purchase of medical devices, new taxes on current private plans that meet certain criteria, and a massive expansion of Medicaid, which will force states to raise taxes to pay for it. The list goes on. Trust me, this not going to effect just the uber-rich, we will all have to pay for it.
    Last edited by 30ashopper; 11-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30ashopper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 30ashopper View Post
    I'm not arguing that some reform isn't needed. But this bill carries with it far more than a few reforms. It's not even a reform bill per se, it's a massive tax and spend bill.

Alpha Crab's comment about this bill only taxing some very small percentage of the population is flat out wrong. This bill taxes everybody in all sorts of ways, in an effort to subsidize healthcare payments to private insurers and providers. That's not reform, that's a government give away.

As far as taxes go - there are new taxes in the house bill that will effect everyone. Employer requirements and taxes for coverage, an individual mandate, new restrictions on HSAs, caps on FSAs, a new 45% marginal rate for high incomes, increased taxes on the purchase of medical devices, new taxes on current private plans that meet certain criteria, and a massive expansion of Medicaid, which will force states to raise taxes to pay for it. The list goes on. Trust me, this not going to effect just the uber-rich, we will all have to pay for it.
    I am only about 10% of the way through my reading on this bill; I appreciate your specific concerns and will be looking for them.

Images
    Oh no, Linnie, the Prize was a bit premature I do believe--I do not hink he has earned that quite yet.

The rest of the World may think so, but I do not. The Prize was really awarded to Obama by the World simply for NOT being Mr. Bush.
    So, then was it the Inauguration? Our ceremony of swearing in of the President of the United States of America touches me every time regardless of party. I was excited last year knowing we would have either black man or a woman running on one ticket.....that makes me proud of America.

The world didn't award the Prize. Just one little group of people in one small town in one of the wealthiest countries in the world (per capita).......one word: oil. What will happen to Norway and other oil rich countries when the US and China become less dependent on: A-them; and, B-oil. I wonder!

Images