Thread: Scorpion infestation?

Scorpion infestation?

I took down my AC ceiling vent in the office in order to redirect it. I unscrewed it, lowered it and looked down to see a small scorpion making a dash towards my thumb. Needless to say, I dropped the AC vent like a hot potato. The vent hit the floor and the scorpion scuttled away. Luckily, I was able to find it under a box and squish it...well.

A few weeks ago, She was in the kitchen when she suddenly let out a blood-curdling scream and said "A scorpion stung me! It ran under the stove!" I moved the stove and there it was.

A little research revealed that scorpion stings are one of the most painful stings one can get locally. The extreme pain is short-lived, fortunately, with the worst passing in 15 - 20 min.

We are in a house on a recently cleared lot off Chat Holly. We have seen four scorpions outside and now two inside in the year this house has been on this lot. They're in the ceiling! Do we have an infestation going on?

We have not used an exterminator yet, cuz we haven't seen any roaches. I hate to use poison in my living environment, but perhaps it's time. Anybody else have scorpion experience in SoWal, particularly in the house?

Images
    Scorpions like pine trees. We had an infestation when we lived in Freeport. We were able to get rid of them, by calling our exterminator and eventually thinning out the 75 skinny pine trees that were in our yard.
    Go Seminoles...fight team fight...SCALP'EM!!

I've seen a few over the years in and around the house. Got stung once on the knee as I was folding a blanket. The scorp evidently got into my dryer as my dryer vent flap was missing.

Not sure if you have an "infestation" but you may want to contact a local exterm. for an opinion.
    "For me, Truth is a kind of holy grail. I believe that Truth and Ideology are often at war with one another, and my allegiance is to Truth"

Oh my, absolute heaven-to-Betsy, dear Lord save me!!!!!!! This scares me terribly. I HATE bugs, whereas, I only dislike snakes. You see far many more bugs and of such greater variety than you do snakes! Bah Hum Bug!!

Images
    Welcome to the woods of South Walton! Only scorpions? You're fortunate!

Anything that a person can put down themselves (without a professional exterminator) to help prevent these creatures from thinking they are welcome guests?

I'd think about diatomaceous earth. Probably available at Eastern Lake Nursery.
    Susan Horn
    www.artisan-builds.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan Horn For This Useful Post:

ASH

Images
    I don't live in South Walton, but I too had scorpion problems when I first moved into my house. There were several piles of wood around my deck, and that black plastic weed killer stuff under my deck. After I had seen several scorpions in my house I called Orkin. They told me to get rid of the wood and the black plastic because that is where they like to live. After removing all of that, I have not seen one sense.

Those things freak me out. I would rather see a snake. spider just about anything other than a scorpion. Good luck, I hope you rid yourself of them!
    ~If Life is a journey....the BEACH should be the destination!~

Images
    Ooooh, I am fatally allergic to certain stings. I would not be able to mess with scorpions and while I don't like chemicals in and around my living environment, I would have serious decisions to make.

I did find one in my room in Costa Rica (pacific side) and I never turned my back on it.........danced around, jumped on the bed and looked for higher spaces even until someone came to my rescue!

Since then, I've learned that lavender and citrus is a natural deterrent for scorpions. The plants themselves......plant some outside and bring some inside as well. Good luck! I now have the heebee geebees.
    Helping others is a gift.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynnie For This Useful Post:

Images
    I got stung once attempting to get up into the attic. Got me right on the neck!

Thanks for the ideas on what might keep them at bay. I have tried a bug killer that works on spiders, but not on the scorpions, even though it ssays it kills them. I sprayed directly onto a scorp out in my warehouse yesterday, 1/2 hour later it was still cruising around.
    Had to make him a lot flatter before he quit moving.
    Anthony

Hello, I too have been reading up on how to eliminate the dreaded beasts.

I've lived in this house (which sat empty for some time, surrounded by heavily wooded lots and on the Bay) in Point Washington for 2 months, and I've encountered 3 inside my master suite and one in the mailbox.

Its difficult to find good articles about them. Creepy stories galore! Facts, not so much. What I did learn;

As mentioned above, they love pine trees. (Somebody has to).
    In new construction areas, they are looking for a new home since their home was disturbed. It should be temporary if they cant find their food of choice there.
    Do not bring logs inside, and do not keep them too close to the house.
    Trim bushes touching the house and remove dead leaves where they like to hide.
    Eliminate their food sources and they'll need to move on (cockroaches, termites...)
    Boric Acid applied around perimeter of home can help eliminate their food sources. (It is reasonably safe to use indoors behind fridge, oven, trash bins, but read precautions to decide for yourself).
    Apply Deltamethrin Granules around the home on all 4 sides (I do not know if safe for pets, I have not used this)
    Fill in cracks or gaps around home where they could come in, and apply weatherstripping to doors.
    I hate to, but I use cockroach/bug spray all around my sliding glass doors & all exterior doorways.
    There are glue strips you can buy that attracts them and then they stick & die.
    They glow in the dark if you use a black light & your weapon of choice (a good heavy heel) you can hunt them down and tell them who's boss. I couldnt drink enough "bravery juice" to do that one.

I have not seen one in about a month now, but after writing this... it might take me a few minutes to get my feet down off this here chair...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChillPill For This Useful Post:

ASH

Images
    I've got to get rid of that wood pile behind the house as it's probably full of snakes and scorps, but now I'm afraid to.
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by ASH View Post
    I got stung once attempting to get up into the attic. Got me right on the neck!

Thanks for the ideas on what might keep them at bay. I have tried a bug killer that works on spiders, but not on the scorpions, even though it ssays it kills them. I sprayed directly onto a scorp out in my warehouse yesterday, 1/2 hour later it was still cruising around.
    Had to make him a lot flatter before he quit moving.
    Did you need to get treated in any way or did it just hurt like yell?

As for the bug spray, yeah no luck here... when I encountered my first "friend" I didnt know what to do, so I ran to the computer and Googled "How do I kill a scorpion" thinking it would say that bug spray would kill it. It actually said "Squish it. And when you think it is dead, squish it some more!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH View Post
    I've got to get rid of that wood pile behind the house as it's probably full of snakes and scorps, but now I'm afraid to.
    Wear your rubber boots and gloves~~~~~
    Be careful, ASH!

Quote Originally Posted by ChillPill View Post
    Boric Acid applied around perimeter of home can help eliminate their food sources. (It is reasonably safe to use indoors behind fridge, oven, trash bins, but read precautions to decide for yourself).
    Boric acid is highly toxic to pets and humans, so must be applied in places where they will not be able to touch or ingest it.

Diatomaceous earth is not toxic, in fact it can be eaten without causing harm. It is included in feed mixes for various livestock to control parasites, and is also included in some concoctions for human use around digestive health as well.
    Susan Horn
    www.artisan-builds.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan Horn For This Useful Post:

Images
    I've not used these guys, but they advertise toxic-free pest control. Might be worth a call.
    http://www.genexpest.com
    Last edited by Miss Critter; 06-30-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: bad link
    Follow your bliss and the Universe will open doors where there were only walls. ~ Joseph Campbell

Images
    [quote=ChillPill;580550]Did you need to get treated in any way or did it just hurt like yell?

It just hurt like heck. I would describe the pain as holding a match to your skin. It was a burning sensation.

I didn't treat it with anything. I would think anyone with allergies may act different. The only thing I'm allergic to is bills.
    Anthony

Images

Scorpion infestation?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
    Wear your rubber boots and gloves~~~~~
    Be careful, ASH!
    Just remember to check inside your boots and gloves before you put them on!.....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happy2Bme View Post
    Just remember to check inside your boots and gloves before you put them on!.....
    Yep - got a spider bite once. OK, that's it, I can't come back to thread.....massive heeeeebeeeee geeeeebeeeees

Y'all be careful!

Images
    The few scorpions I've seen in SoWal have been loners, and I think that is how they are typically found. I doubt there is need to poison your entire house for something you can smash with one whack of your shoe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Horn View Post
    Boric acid is highly toxic to pets and humans, so must be applied in places where they will not be able to touch or ingest it.

Diatomaceous earth is not toxic, in fact it can be eaten without causing harm. It is included in feed mixes for various livestock to control parasites, and is also included in some concoctions for human use around digestive health as well.
    Better yet is if you can find a combination product that has the diatomaceous earth (DE) combined with Sulfur. I'll go check what company makes what I use.

Images
    The product is 'Land and Sea Gold Dust' produced by Enviromate Inc out of Fort Worth but when I went to their website it doesn't appear to be available any more.

You could use soil sulfur (easy to find at garden centers) along with the DE for control.

Good luck!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rita For This Useful Post:

Images
    They also like pine wood chips. I was working in the garden and must have kneeled right on one or two. When I stood up it felt like I had pieces of glass in my leg; the sting hurt so bad!! I had at least three stings and boy did they swell up!! I learned a good lesson though... never kneel in the garden with shorts on!!!