The most comprehensive and current source of events for South Walton and Scenic 30A.

Thread: 30A St Patrick's Day parade and celebration

30A St Patrick's Day parade and celebration

There was a great segment on WMBB this morning with the guy from 30A TV and Wayne Gentry re the 2nd annual St Patrick's Day Parade and Celebration.

Images
    It's not a huge article, but it's nice to see something other than car accidents being covered.

wmbb.com - Grayton Beach - St. Patrick’s Day Parade on 30a

Images
    T minus 24 hours until the Parade!

Images
    Where are some good places to watch?

Images
    The most populated place seemed to be the BMB area last year. However there's plenty of space along the side of the road from 83 to 283.

Images
    bumpity-bumpity!

woo-hoo parade tomorrow!

Promote your business or just decorate a vehicle and have some fun !

Its not too late to enter the parade, just print the registration form and bring it with you (completed) NOTE: As a late entry, you will need to be at the staging point at Gulf Place by 1.15pm to be allowed to enter

2nd Annual 30a St Patricks Parade

Best places to view - crowded but near judges table and Johnny McTighes and Sallys
    Uncrowded - Redfish Village, Gult Trace and along near the Preserve and Sanctuary
    Jack: You wanna beer? Ron: It's 7 o'clock in the morning? Jack: Scotch? (Mr Mom movie)

Images
    Rain or shine????
    The Cultural Arts Association Fostering the Literary, Performing and Visual Arts in Walton County www.CulturalArtsAssociation.com | 850.622.5970
    Keep up with the arts on our SoWal Blog >

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbug44 View Post
    bumpity-bumpity!

woo-hoo parade tomorrow!
    parade report with pix pleeeeeze along with assorted commentary from paraders and paradees.

Images
    I still don't understand why people celebrate St Patrick's Day three days before St Patrick's Day. I didn't even read this thread until today. I saw the Stinky's Fish Camp float go through Grayton yesterday, with a small sign which read, "Lake Place opening soon!" I thought that was a genius way to announce it, though my friend said it must be the St Patrick's Day parade float. Very strange that it is celebrated on the weekend rather than the St Patrick's Day. I don't do other holiday's on the weekend if the actual holiday falls on a weekday, and I am not about to start doing this one.

Images
    Could it be because St. Patty's is not a national holiday, and the vast majority of us have to work?

btw, I missed it too - pics?
    Go Seminoles...fight team fight...SCALP'EM!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShallowsNole For This Useful Post:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiling JOe View Post
    I still don't understand why people celebrate St Patrick's Day three days before St Patrick's Day. I didn't even read this thread until today. I saw the Stinky's Fish Camp float go through Grayton yesterday, with a small sign which read, "Lake Place opening soon!" I thought that was a genius way to announce it, though my friend said it must be the St Patrick's Day parade float. Very strange that it is celebrated on the weekend rather than the St Patrick's Day. I don't do other holiday's on the weekend if the actual holiday falls on a weekday, and I am not about to start doing this one.
    Get over yourself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SWGB For This Useful Post:

Images
    I hear ya. and totally agree. but SN has a good point- we aren't off work on St Patty's Day - so if you are going to do a parade, it has to be on the weekend. either way, participation may not be as good as it could be. oh well. I'm not particularly into celebrating St Patty's Day ahead of time or at all, but I hope those that did had a blast! also, its just a good excuse for the community to come together, especially these days!
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-15-2009 at 12:04 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Useful Post:

Images
    It was discussed by the Parade committee and agreed that to do it on a weekday would exclude those working and kids who have school. It was a great time. Pics and video forthcoming.

Congratulations to Stinky's Fish Camp for winning the trophy.

Also thanks to Niles for awarding the 56 cars behind the parade honorable mention.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sowalgayboi View Post

Also thanks to Niles for awarding the 56 cars behind the parade honorable mention.
    did he sing again? He left the other night before I could tell him I was impressed by his rendention of "House of the rising sun"
    ~~Dream like you will live forever....Live like you will die tomorrow~~

Images
    St Patrick's day is celebrated on a weekend when required because it is a drinking holiday. Beer, cabbage, corned beef, more beer...having a community observance on a weekend is understandable.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 30A Skunkape For This Useful Post:

Images
    And perhaps we should all aspire to this sort of celebration --

But Rome wasn't built in a day, but maybe someday it will be signature event worthy of taking the day off on the 17th.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rapunzel For This Useful Post:

Images
    Skunky is correct. There is a big parade in Dallas on...GREENville Ave. every year on the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. Lots of drunks.

Punz...love that pic!

swgb...did anyone take pics of the faces of those 56 drivers?
    Which community along 30A shall we pillage this evening?....gttbm

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Images
    Al Roker just said that our President, Barack O'Bama, is Irish.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Runner View Post
    Al Roker just said that our President, Barack O'Bama, is Irish.
    He is a good Irishman like Shaquille O'Neal

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 30A Skunkape View Post
    He is a good Irishman like Shaquille O'Neal
    Actually he is 3% Irish!
    Today Show Video Player

Images
    Obviously having the parade on the actual day is preferable - but it's sort of hard to have a parade to promote local businesses on a workday and there aren't as many kids to delight on a school day.

Oddly enough, I still managed to have a GREAT time and bring joy to hundreds of people even though it wasn't on the actual day.

Images
    I'm not picking solely on the local parade, here. I know that most of the major cities have their St Patrick's Day parade on Sat, even when the actual day falls on the weekday or Sunday. Heaven forbid it fall on a Sunday and the Catholics have it interfere with Church.

I fully disagree with the reason for celebrating it on a Saturday being that kids can celebrate it. It is a drinking holiday. Go to any of the large celebrations and tell me how many kids you see celebrating.

I do understand that more people will show up if it is done on a weekend, typically, unless it is in an area like SoWal where the majority of people work in the service industry, with Saturday being one of the busiest days of the week.

Glad you green people had fun, but I'm wearing my green tomorrow.

Check out "Shamrocks in the Square," Seaside's official St. Patrick's Day celebration on Tuesday, March 17th!

Shamrocks in the Square

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Seaside Events For This Useful Post:

Images
    I fully disagree with the reason for celebrating it on a Saturday being that kids can celebrate it. It is a drinking holiday. Go to any of the large celebrations and tell me how many kids you see celebrating.
    Every holiday is what you make of it - which is why this parade was a PG rated mid-afternoon family affair w/ bagpipers, fire trucks, balloons, leprechauns, goofy hats, horses, dogs dressed up, 3 generations participating etc.

Seriously, it was a fun local event to make people happy and promote the area - why does that piss you off so much?

Images
    top o' the mornin' to ya!

Images
    I'm not pissed off. I am just voicing my opinion. I think holidays are so watered down from their original intent and meaning, and this fits right in. Without wikipedia-ing it, tell me something about St Patrick. I guarantee you that 98%+ of Americans who celebrate it, have no idea, they just want to party.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiling JOe For This Useful Post:

Smiling Joe.........why rain on their parade?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Purvis For This Useful Post:

Images
    I'm just offering one person's honest opinion. My intention isn't with hatred. I'm sure there are hundreds of people who could care less, and enjoy the parade on Saturday.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty View Post
    Skunky is correct. There is a big parade in Dallas on...GREENville Ave. every year on the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. Lots of drunks.

Punz...love that pic!

swgb...did anyone take pics of the faces of those 56 drivers?
    Lord have mercy. Mr. dd and I attended that parade when we were still just dating--many moons ago. I can't even look at green beer. Never ever again.
    I still swear I was drugged.
    I love Jesus, but I drink a little. ~Gladys
    DD, I toad you it was pucking hot.~~Kitty
    "You're my fun, drunk aunt" ~~Layla to Vanessa 2011

Images
    Happy Drinking Green Beer & Other Stuff Day everybody! and Happy St Patty's Day too!!! see ya down at Shamrocks in the Square at Seaside. get ready to partay!

The 30aParade was started to support the local 30a businesses, give them a free way to promote their business and give residents and visitors a fun few hours to celebrate St Patricks Day.
    St Patricks is is a date related event, this year, falling on a Tuesday.
    While we would love to hold it on the actual St Patricks Day, no one wants to watch a parade with 3 floats in it, and most locals do have workweek jobs, schools which means taking a day off (not likely) or missing the parade.
    Its first and foremost a "locals" event, so making it a success for locals is a priority, which is why the parade is on the weekend. Each year we have had very positive responses from the visitors who have been able to enjoy a locals event.
    It was a delight to see the kids faces when they watched this year. THIS Parade was designed to be for everyone. Not a drunk fest. If someone wants to do that they can do it AFTER the parade in a suitable establishment.
    If it ever did get to that level, I want nothing to do with it and it would be time to call it quits.

I am always disappointed and saddened when I hear that a local would make it a special point of not supporting a community event, 30a is all about inclusion not exclusion. The intent is to stimulate local business and entertain at the same time. I fail to see why thats not an honorable intention worthy of support
    Hopefully one day you might change your mind.

The good news is that 2012 will have the date proper. Maybe you can find time then

For videos and photos of the parade
    www.30aparade.com
    Jack: You wanna beer? Ron: It's 7 o'clock in the morning? Jack: Scotch? (Mr Mom movie)

41. The Following User Says Thank You to incredible1 For This Useful Post:

Images
    Apparently there is a Resolution 317 that would make St. Patrick's Day a Nat'l Holiday - and has over 500K signatures so far!

Amazing the things you can learn while watching the TV Guide channel to see what's on!