Thread: Destin Horse & Carriage

1. Destin Horse & Carriage

We were driving 30a east approaching Western Lake .....
    when we realized that there was a horse & buggy on the road
    not on the bike path .... but on the 30a
    This was a first for us .... has anyone else seen it ?
    Think the company name on the back was Destin Horse & Carriage.

2. Yes, I saw it, around 3:30- 4:00. Hate to be a grinch, but completely inappropriate, slowing traffic to a stop as they waited to go around. Moving way slower than either a golf cart or a road biker.

3. Quote Originally Posted by carmen View Post
    Yes, I saw it, around 3:30- 4:00. Hate to be a grinch, but completely inappropriate, slowing traffic to a stop as they waited to go around. Moving way slower than either a golf cart or a road biker.
    Yes, it struck us as very dangerous indeed. Would prefer to see the horses on the trails in the woods ... not on the streets

Images
    I was caught behind on 393 headed north from 30A a couple of weeks ago. I agree it's a safety hazard, and the roads aren't even that crowded yet.
    Follow your bliss and the Universe will open doors where there were only walls. ~ Joseph Campbell

Images

What next?

A kiddie train like the one in Destin Commons? I do love a horse and carriage, but maybe just riding through Seaside not 30A. I agree just too dangerous for everyone involved.

Images
    I saw the pick-up spot in front of Red Bar Saturday evening. As if that area is not already congested enough... Skunky assured me it was for a wedding. Lovely to know it's still here. I was really missing the smell of horse potty in the street since we left New Orleans.

7. Yes, very happily, horses aren't extinct. yet.

Images
    We might need to also remind them that they are in Walton County, not Destin.

I think it's great and love to see them !!!
    Get over it ........Some of the tourist are just as bad ..............

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cater For This Useful Post:

Images
    beautiful black horses. Staging across from Mystic Porte, just north of Grayton. Cool idea, but a true hazard to many, I'm sure. When we passed them yesterday on 283, I guess they had just started, and the horses were a bit spooked. It won't be pretty when people dart out on bicycles in front of the horses in Seaside. I think a more appropriate area for the rides might be in old Pt Washington around Eden.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smiling JOe For This Useful Post:

Images
    I saw them Sunday afternoon on 283 (Grayton rd?) and I could have sworn the horses were white and some guy in a car was checking them out and commenting on one's jitteryness/demeanor.

I don't think they should be on the road either!! What happens in mid July when is blazin' hot out?? Poor things!

Images
    The carriage was white, the harness padding red, the horses were jet black, and rather large. Really beautiful.

Images
    No, still thinking I saw white horses w/ white manes, but it WAS after brunch.

Is this a regular business now or just for special events like weddings?

Images
    And, do they have to bring plastic bags....like you do when walking your dog?

Images
    Here ya go- Sunday afternoon in front of Amavida-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarg For This Useful Post:

Images
    plastic bags? more like a snow shovel and large bucket.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiling JOe View Post
    plastic bags? more like a snow shovel and large bucket.

They have big plastic bags rigged to their back ends.

Images

Just a Name

Quote Originally Posted by DuneLaker View Post
    We might need to alsoemind them that they are in Walton County, not Destin.
    I live in SWOL. The company name is Destin Horse and Carriage. I tried to come up the a general area for handle weddings, engagements, birthdays etc.
    I Love SWOL. I dont need a reminder. Maybe I should change the name? SWOL horse and carraige? Would that be better?

Images
    Sorry DL, but Destin Horse and Carriage sounds nicer than Walton County Horse and Carriage IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by maryjojo View Post
    I live in SWOL. The company name is Destin Horse and Carriage. I tried to come up the a general area for handle weddings, engagements, birthdays etc.
    I Love SWOL. I dont need a reminder. Maybe I should change the name? SWOL horse and carraige? Would that be better?
    How about THE™ Beach Horse and Carriage?

...or SeaHorse and Carriage?
    But hey...Top Ramen tastes a whole lot better when you eat it off of a Granite Countertop. (Mr & Mrs Too Much Homebuyer)

Images
    So so sorry maryjojo to make light of your business. I can see now that Smiling joe was right once again, they are black. Just keep posting and you'll get use to the "board" humor! Although, now I feel terrible at how easy it is to be talking about something I know nothing about. I really apologize if I said something that offended you. I truly am worried about the safety situation for the horses, cars and people.

Kat

I SeaHorse and Carriage!!! Only Shelly!

Horses and Carriages have the same rights as bikes and they were here first. If you need to go fast, take 395,283,83, or 393

Images
    I'm not bothered by the speed issue personally, but when I was behind them traveling north on 393, they were cresting a hill with zero visibility from the opposite direction. Driver patience seems to be in short supply during the season. My concern is for the safety of those beautiful horses.
    Follow your bliss and the Universe will open doors where there were only walls. ~ Joseph Campbell

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Critter For This Useful Post:

Images
    Big difference between a bike that is on the shoulder and a horse drawn carriage taking up a lane. And rheffron, the horses were ON 283.

I watched some tools put the accelerator through the floor near Grayton so they could pass/drive next to the girls in front of them - oncoming horses (or traffic) were the least of their concerns.

Images
    I have no intensions of slowing traffic down. I was only out getting practice for the parade this weekend. I do agree that it is dangerous when cars are going twice the speed limit of 35mph on 30A. I drove down by car there today to check miles out and while going 35mph I was passed at lest 15 times. This is what I would complain about. The tourist should be going slow and enjoying the views. Anyways... I am mainly here to do weddings, partys, parades and special events. If you saw me on 393 that is where we live and drive the horses occasionaly. I will be going down 393 to do weddings on the beach on the weekends. As far as droppings goes. I have a personal guy on a silver scooter that is not far away. I call him on the radio and he comes to clean the mess. I also have diapers on the horse, so it is just the droppings that miss that he gets.

Images

Love THE NAME.

Quote Originally Posted by momof2kids View Post

I SeaHorse and Carriage!!! Only Shelly!
    Shelly, I am going to be doing little girl princes parties with ponies and I am getting a Cinderella carriage. So. Maybe I will use the name SeaHorse and Carriage theme some how. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Mary Jo

Images

Great Pic.

Quote Originally Posted by jdarg View Post
    Here ya go- Sunday afternoon in front of Amavida-

Did you get any other shots of the horse and carriage?
    MJ

Images
    I don't see "white" or "black" horses. I just see horses.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterbug44 View Post
    Big difference between a bike that is on the shoulder and a horse drawn carriage taking up a lane. And rheffron, the horses were ON 283.

I watched some tools put the accelerator through the floor near Grayton so they could pass/drive next to the girls in front of them - oncoming horses (or traffic) were the least of their concerns.
    Well, get those dang horse off 283 will ya : )

Images
    Ho-boy.
    Can sowalgayboi towing tourists in a rickshaw be far behind?

So. Maybe I will use the name SeaHorse and Carriage theme some how.
    Mary Jo
    ...cash, check or plastic?

But hey...Top Ramen tastes a whole lot better when you eat it off of a Granite Countertop. (Mr & Mrs Too Much Homebuyer)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 30A Skunkape View Post
    Ho-boy.

I love Jesus, but I drink a little. ~Gladys
    DD, I toad you it was pucking hot.~~Kitty
    "You're my fun, drunk aunt" ~~Layla to Vanessa 2011

Images
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXWVBHAWII"]YouTube - seinfeld - to be interviewed for a job for rickshaws[/ame]

Images
    Ho-boy.
    Yes, it's way behind there. BB has already tried to hitch me up to hers.

Images
    Hmmmmmm - those Seaside carriages are some duct tape and a MacGyver moment away from being a pedicab!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sowalgayboi View Post
    yes, it's way behind there. Bb has already tried to hitch me up to hers.
    mush!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbug44 View Post
    Hmmmmmm - those Seaside carriages are some duct tape and a MacGyver moment away from being a pedicab!
    MacGyver is so 1990, it's now MacGruber.

mush!
    Gonna be a short ride.

Images
    I have no intensions of slowing traffic down. I was only out getting practice for the parade this weekend. I do agree that it is dangerous when cars are going twice the speed limit of 35mph on 30A. I drove down by car there today to check miles out and while going 35mph I was passed at lest 15 times. This is what I would complain about. The tourist should be going slow and enjoying the views. Anyways... I am mainly here to do weddings, partys, parades and special events. If you saw me on 393 that is where we live and drive the horses occasionaly. I will be going down 393 to do weddings on the beach on the weekends. As far as droppings goes. I have a personal guy on a silver scooter that is not far away. I call him on the radio and he comes to clean the mess. I also have diapers on the horse, so it is just the droppings that miss that he gets.
    If you are from SoWal, why do you have "Destin" in your name? That is so not from here. South Walton is so different from Destin in Okaloosa County. Any unique event in South Walton, Walton County should not have Destin in its name, imho. The unique history and environmental treasures of South Walton are beyond compare in Florida. The unique venue of SoWal, South Walton, should not be diluted with surrounding area place names.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to DuneLaker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DuneLaker View Post
    If you are from SoWal, why do you have "Destin" in your name? That is so not from here. South Walton is so different from Destin in Okaloosa County. Any unique event in South Walton, Walton County should not have Destin in its name, imho. The unique history and environmental treasures of South Walton are beyond compare in Florida. The unique venue of SoWal, South Walton, should not be diluted with surrounding area place names.
    Yeah! Change it to THE™ Beach!!! Or else!

Now let's boot'em outta town--and the horse he came in on!!

Images
    Shelly, I believe he is a she -- at least a "she" was driving the horses.