Thread: HELP! Drip System won't shut off!

Images

HELP! Drip System won't shut off!

Our drip (irrigation type) system won't shut off.....I discovered upon arrival this afternoon that our drip system was running when it was supposed to be off (thru the winter we had it set to just run for an hour every other day around mid-morning)....anyway, we turned it to OFF....but it still hasn't shut off and is still on! Does anyone know anything about these things and what we should do??? I called our contractor late today and he told me to turn off this certain valve in the yard...well good grief....I did that but it shut the water off for the entire house....so that did not work....Any help, ideas would be MOST APPRECIATED!! Thanks
    30A Forever!! PK

Re: HELP! Drip System won't shut off!

We had a valve that wouldn't close, which meant the water kept running. When investigating further I found that the valve was full of acorns. Removed the acorns and all was working normally. You may or may not have any valves in your system, but that's one thing to check.

http://www.rainbird.com/diy/products/valves/cp.htm

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Images

We have a separate shutoff valve for the irrigation system and the house. Is that not the case for you?

Yep - there should be a shutoff just for the irrigation system. Look around. Usually it will be near the control system - have one installed if there isn't one.

Images

Thanks everyone for your help....after more digging (literally!!) we found the other "round covered hole" which contained the shut-off valve.....still an issue because even turning it off, did not work!! yikes! However, we were advised to crimp the hose and they would be out Monday....anyway, what an experience and we have learned a lot about our system today!!

We have just about come to the conclusion that something has clogged the valve, similar to what barefoot guy is saying .....
    I know of several neighbors who also had these problems and one of them never has figured out what the problem was....so like I said, we have learned a lot today and hopefully can be able to fix it ourselves in the future....
    THANKS for all your great help, as always!!
    30A Forever!! PK